The Student Room Group

Are higher predicted grads better?

I want to apply for engineering and the unis I’m looking at want A*AA. And for my predicted grades I’ve got A in physics, A* in Maths and A/A* in economics. My question is, would it be better to have the A* predicted in Economics (A*A*A overall) , or shall I just stick with an A (A*AA overall). The decision is up to me.

Thanks.
Original post by ldmendes7
I want to apply for engineering and the unis I’m looking at want A*AA. And for my predicted grades I’ve got A in physics, A* in Maths and A/A* in economics. My question is, would it be better to have the A* predicted in Economics (A*A*A overall) , or shall I just stick with an A (A*AA overall). The decision is up to me.

Thanks.

Higher predicted grades can only increase your chances of getting an offer.

And I'm going to regret this but, why is it up to you?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Higher predicted grades can only increase your chances of getting an offer.

And I'm going to regret this but, why is it up to you?

It’s up to me because they can’t decide if I’m an A* or an A, I’m perfectly in between so they say if I need the A* they are happy to give it to me

Thanks.

It depends on the uni, it may not make a difference, but if it does make a difference it is only going to be positive - so I would say go with A*A*A if you can....

Just remember that if CAGs are used again this year, they are not automatically your predicted grades :smile:

Good luck with your application!
Reply 4
Original post by Becca216
It depends on the uni, it may not make a difference, but if it does make a difference it is only going to be positive - so I would say go with A*A*A if you can....

Just remember that if CAGs are used again this year, they are not automatically your predicted grades :smile:

Good luck with your application!

Ok thanks, but what I’ve heard is with higher predicted grades, you run the risk of harder entry requirements. ie I get an offer of my predicted grades
It’s up to me because they can’t decide if I’m an A* or an A, I’m perfectly in between so they say if I need the A* they are happy to give it to me

Looking past how unprofessional your school are for a moment, you need to be predicted grades that reflect what you are most likely to achieve.

As an example, (and may not apply to you if your target unis are all around A*AA), there's no point getting an A*A*A offer for a competitive course, then not getting a place because you dropped one grade. You'd be better off with more realistic offers in the first place.
Ok thanks, but what I’ve heard is with higher predicted grades, you run the risk of harder entry requirements. ie I get an offer of my predicted grades

This doesn't happen in the UK. You'll either get the standard published offer or one slightly below. You always have to meet your offer, not your predicted grades.
Reply 7
This doesn't happen in the UK. You'll either get the standard published offer or one slightly below. You always have to meet your offer, not your predicted grades.

My point is that that offer may be higher because of the high predicted grades
My point is that that offer may be higher because of the high predicted grades

If the website for example says AAA they will never give you an offer of A*AA, no matter what your predicted grades are.
Reply 9
Looking past how unprofessional your school are for a moment, you need to be predicted grades that reflect what you are most likely to achieve.

As an example, (and may not apply to you if your target unis are all around A*AA), there's no point getting an A*A*A offer for a competitive course, then not getting a place because you dropped one grade. You'd be better off with more realistic offers in the first place.

My target unis say A*AA typical offers
You might as well get predicted the A*, it would be very exceptional for them to give you an A*A*A offer. In the end it won't make that much difference.
My target unis say A*AA typical offers

So you should be fine with A*AA. Do not ask for a higher predicted grade just to get an offer. If you can’t get that grade in the actual exam, then it’s a bit futile, isn’t it?
(edited 3 years ago)

I know that Imperial base the offer on all the A levels you're doing, so I've known people be asked for A*A*A* or A*A*A*AA for the same course but I'm not sure they increase the grade required for each A level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending