The Student Room Group

Has anyone here lost a sibling?

As in had a sibling die? How did it affect you and how did you cope with it?
It is something that, depending on the age, depends on how you deal with it and how those around you do. I was 8 when my sister died, and my parents never spoke about it, so was very hard to deal with as I had no outlet. As I got older, I went through therapy to help deal with it because talking about your emotions makes things easier to cope with. It is far easier to talk about how you feel with those around you who are going through the same thing- any other siblings or parents, as they are grieving too. Everyone grieves differently and learns to cope differently- some cry, some bury it, some never move on and others learn to live with it. Everyone is different so don't feel ashamed if you react differently, and try different ways of coping- reading about loss, talking about it, even writing letters to the person you have lost. There are many different ways of learning to live with loss, so don't be afraid to experiment, but do NOT bury your feelings and let them overwhelm you. I wrote my uni Diss on children and YA coping with death through literature, and even in literature discussing loss, characters deal with it in very different ways.
Have one that died before I was born, we light candles for him and visit his grave on his birthday. It doesn't affect me much because I never knew him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending