The Student Room Group

Where should I study?

Hello, I don't know if this is where I should be posting this but here we go. I'm from Portugal and I'm thinking of going to England to continue my studies. I want to go to Software Engineering and could you guys tell me where I should take the course? Which are the best Universities for that subject? Also whats the meaning and the difference between MEng and BEng? I believe that I'll end school with (96 - 112) tariff points and I was looking with good eyes at the University of Kent and Westminster but I simply don't know. Also, how does it work the Tuition? I saw something I would only start paying once I had a job where I'd make at least 25,000 pounds yearly is this correct? If someone could help me I would be grateful. Thanks in advance and have a great day!
Reply 1
Original post by JoãoS
Hello, I don't know if this is where I should be posting this but here we go. I'm from Portugal and I'm thinking of going to England to continue my studies. I want to go to Software Engineering and could you guys tell me where I should take the course? Which are the best Universities for that subject? Also whats the meaning and the difference between MEng and BEng? I believe that I'll end school with (96 - 112) tariff points and I was looking with good eyes at the University of Kent and Westminster but I simply don't know. Also, how does it work the Tuition? I saw something I would only start paying once I had a job where I'd make at least 25,000 pounds yearly is this correct? If someone could help me I would be grateful. Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Hello!

I don't know much about software engineering, which sounds super cool, but I may be able to help with a more general advice. Try to look for virtual open days, if those unis have any student representatives that answer questions about study - I know some do, like Queen Mary's did for medicine, I think. Student Room is a great place to look, so just be patient and someone will answer to you. I'd suggest searching that subject on here and also both of those universities specifically. I studied at Sussex for my undergraduate law degree and it's a very diverse community with students from around 125 countries in the world, so it's a great place to be at and it's one of the few campus universities. It's also close to the seaside! And they have a virtual tour online (my photo even made it in there!). So just see what kind of unis do that subject and then type in reviews or something and see what comes up.
My best guess as to the difference is MEng is probably Masters in Engineering, and BEng is Bachelors in Engineering, but of course I'd confirm if I were you.
As for tuition - I think it works differently for international students. In UK, UK students can take two types of loan - a tuition loan, and a maintenance loan. Once you finish studies and get a job, only when you start earning past the threshold (£25,000) they will start taking the money (they being the Student Finance England). So it's not that you have to run and get a job right now, start earning and pay, it's once you've graduated and gotten a job that pays enough. But this is for UK students. As an international student, I think there is a different arrangement. I'd go and look into the financial section of the course on the uni website and see how the fees are supposed to be paid by international students. And don't forget accommodation - in most unis that provide accommodation, it's only for first year of study, after which you look for your own (they help if you need advice, usually).

Hope that helps and good luck! Go and become that software engineer!
Original post by JoãoS

Hey!

I'd recommend looking at university websites and seeing if they have any upcoming virtual open days, that way you can chat to academics and students about the course and university life.

If you'd like to speak to our current students directly and find out what it's really like being a student at Bradford, you can chat to them using Unibuddy.

If you'd like to check out the Software Engineering course at Bradford, you can do so here.

Please let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Whichever uni you choose, I hope you have the best experience!

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending