The Student Room Group

Travelling into tier 4

I have a ticket booked to travel into London by train. I’m coming home from Uni on the 30th and just worried I will be stopped by the police or questioned. I have bad mental health and autism and travelling is hard enough. I’m just worried something bad will happen or what I’m suppose to say if I’m stopped.

Scroll to see replies

nothing will happen, nobody will ever question you. This is the UK not north korea, we still have (some) freedom
Original post by Anonymous
I have a ticket booked to travel into London by train. I’m coming home from Uni on the 30th and just worried I will be stopped by the police or questioned. I have bad mental health and autism and travelling is hard enough. I’m just worried something bad will happen or what I’m suppose to say if I’m stopped.

I understand how hard it is to communicate under pressure as I am autistic and have mental health problems but you have a valid reason to travel, just tell them your coming home from uni, hopefully you have a safe journey home!
Reply 3

You shouldn't be entering a Tier 4 area. Reconsider your actions.

The student travel window has long since ended.
Original post by IWMTom

okay borris, like who cares
If you're really bad at talking to cops type up a pre-made explanation you can show them and laminate it.

Dear sir/madam, I have a hidden disability. I am making an essential journey into a tier 4 area today because...<relevant information here>

as others have said you're unlikely to actually have to use it... but it might help you not to panic.
Reply 6
okay borris, like who cares

Keep up that attitude and this will go on a whole lot longer :facepalm:
Original post by IWMTom
Keep up that attitude and this will go on a whole lot longer :facepalm:

Obviously I care and I want this whole corona thing to be over, but OP wants to go home and I'm sure they'll be using precautions, I'm sorry if I came across as rude.

I'm sure everything will be ok, it seems to be very relaxed, especially since you're going IN, not travelling out of a Tier 4 area. Also, I think you'd be classed as a vulnerable person due to being alone with bad mental health, to them I'm sure that would count as a necessary journey!
Original post by IWMTom

I entirely agree with this stance. I get that OP wants to go home, but they have had ample opportunity to do so. Presumably, they'll then want to travel back to uni for when term starts, moving the virus with them. To be honest, if possible, OP should stay put and make use of support services at university.
There is no law stopping you from travelling into Tier 4 areas so the police cannot enforce a law that doesn't even exist. Furthermore while the police can ask you to stop and account you do not have to comply with their request.

Travelling back from university is listed on the non-exhaustive list of reasonable excuses to be outside your home in the Tier 4 legislation which is almost identical to the November lockdown laws.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1611/pdfs/uksi_20201611_en.pdf

Exception 16: students and vacation households

(22) Subject to sub-paragraph (23), exception 16 is that it is reasonably necessary for P to leave or be outside P’s home to—

(a) move on one occasion from their student household before 8th February 2021 to one other household (“vacation household”) for the purposes of a vacation, or
(b) to return to their term time accommodation after the vacation.

(23) Sub-paragraph 22 only applies where P is a student who is undertaking a higher education course at the time this Schedule came into force.
Original post by nexttime
I don't think you meet any exemption criteria do you? So you pay the fine and move on, I guess.

Please don't spread misinformation, it is quite unhelpful.
Original post by DiddyDec
Please don't spread misinformation, it is quite unhelpful.

It's also quite unhelpful for OP to travel back home, then presumably out of the tier 4 area back to university in February taking the virus with them.
It's also quite unhelpful for OP to travel back home, then presumably out of the tier 4 area back to university in February taking the virus with them.

That is up to the OP to decide.

The OP has now got the correct information to make an informed decision about their actions.
Reply 14
Obviously I care and I want this whole corona thing to be over, but OP wants to go home and I'm sure they'll be using precautions, I'm sorry if I came across as rude.

Frankly I couldn't care less. They had the opportunity to come home when the student travel window was open.
I entirely agree with this stance. I get that OP wants to go home, but they have had ample opportunity to do so. Presumably, they'll then want to travel back to uni for when term starts, moving the virus with them. To be honest, if possible, OP should stay put and make use of support services at university.

Come off anon and you can have some rep.
That is up to the OP to decide.

The OP has now got the correct information to make an informed decision about their actions.

The law and the guidance are two seperate things. If everyone starts going against the guidance we get absolutely nowhere. London is ****ed for a reason...
Original post by IWMTom
The law and the guidance are two seperate things. If everyone starts going against the guidance we get absolutely nowhere. London is ****ed for a reason...

The OP was worried about police which would lead me to believe they were concerned about the legality of their actions. It is only right that they are given the correct information to allow them to make up their own mind and put their mind at ease in this case.
Reply 16
The OP was worried about police which would lead me to believe they were concerned about the legality of their actions. It is only right that they are given the correct information to allow them to make up their own mind and put their mind at ease in this case.

Condoning their behaviour helps no one! :frown:

And there is a virus on the rampage and frankly one of the reasons that we're in this mess is students travelling up and down the country. OP should stay put. They have no reason to go home and they've missed the travel window. You maybe right about the guidelines, but I think people need to start thinking about the greater good and making sacrifices. 'I want to go home' is not in that spirit.
Original post by IWMTom
Condoning their behaviour helps no one! :frown:

How is giving the correct information condoning?

I would rather someone suffering from mental health issues to be put at ease in these incredibly challenging times rather than scaring them with misinformation.

I am not here to tell them what they should or shouldn't do.

I thought they were more worried about the confrontation itself.

TBH I dunno yet how intrusive police efforts will be, they were pretty heavy in Glasgow last time with a reasonable chance of being questioned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending