The Student Room Group

Food left in fridge for months...

Hello, I’m really worried if my fridge will be a biohazard. Basically I am a uni student and left home a few months ago, initially planning to return in a week (after 2 hospital appointments) but as lockdown happened and as I got more follow up appointments I was unable to return. I would return in a few weeks now but I’m worried if this will be a biohazard.
I think I left my fridge relatively empty but I forgot to take out a kind of empty small milk carton, and I suddenly remember collecting yogurt and leaving like 4 tubs in the fridge. There is pickled mustard (thai food) in a airtight container too. The dairy is my main issue.
Never had this problem anymore and I’m seriously iffy about this stuff. I also live in a studio so I’m worried I could damage my health with that. I told the cleaners to take out the bins but forgot completely about the fridge contents til now...
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I’m really worried if my fridge will be a biohazard. Basically I am a uni student and left home a few months ago, initially planning to return in a week (after 2 hospital appointments) but as lockdown happened and as I got more follow up appointments I was unable to return. I would return in a few weeks now but I’m worried if this will be a biohazard.
I think I left my fridge relatively empty but I forgot to take out a kind of empty small milk carton, and I suddenly remember collecting yogurt and leaving like 4 tubs in the fridge. There is pickled mustard (thai food) in a airtight container too. The dairy is my main issue.
Never had this problem anymore and I’m seriously iffy about this stuff. I also live in a studio so I’m worried I could damage my health with that. I told the cleaners to take out the bins but forgot completely about the fridge contents til now...

The cleaners might have checked.
In any event have a can of air freshener, open the windows and just bag the offending items up, then take them directly to the bin store. Wont be as bad as you are making out, buta s the fridge will be empty then maybe the opportunity to give is a thorough clean.
Original post by Anonymous

If the food items are in sealed containers, yes they will be off, but the smell should have been prevented from escaping. Bin them as soon as you return, put some bicarb in a little dish inside if it smells, and give it a good wipe over.
Do you have flatmates? At mine we went through the fridge before going home to ensure everything that would go off/looked like it would go off was binned or taken home if it was still ok for use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending