The Student Room Group

Reappyling to university

Does having previously gaining a university place make you stand out if you are reapplying after a gap year? for example, if I get an offer from Leeds for medicine this year but want to study maths instead so next year so I decline the offer and reapply next year to different universities for maths, does the fact that I got offered a place for med at leeds and turned it down (despite getting the grades) make my profile stand out/make me more competitive if I mention it on my personal statement, reference or in interviews? Thanks
I don’t think it would decrease or increase your chances per say especially, since you’re applying for a totally different course.it does give a bit of reassurance that you got in Leeds so who knows you’ll get in again. But it won’t make you stand out or anything. Every applicant is freshly examined and different faculties are involved.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Levi.-
Does having previously gaining a university place make you stand out if you are reapplying after a gap year? for example, if I get an offer from Leeds for medicine this year but want to study maths instead so next year so I decline the offer and reapply next year to different universities for maths, does the fact that I got offered a place for med at leeds and turned it down (despite getting the grades) make my profile stand out/make me more competitive if I mention it on my personal statement, reference or in interviews? Thanks

Personally I wouldn't mention it at all ... it's irrelevant.
Original post by Muttley79
Personally I wouldn't mention it at all ... it's irrelevant.

can I ask what credibility you have (argument with parents and I need sound advice to back this up as I don't think its relevant either and want to withdraw from my leeds application even though I have an interview)
Original post by Levi.-
can I ask what credibility you have (argument with parents and I need sound advice to back this up as I don't think its relevant either and want to withdraw from my leeds application even though I have an interview)

I'm a teacher and deal with UCAS applications. If you mention it, in my view, it will raise concerns about your passion for studying Maths [which I teach] ..
I'm a teacher and deal with UCAS applications. If you mention it, in my view, it will raise concerns about your passion for studying Maths [which I teach] ..

Perfect; so even if I spun it as 'oh i got into mathematics and these aspects over lockdown and became so invested and interested that I gave up a place at x to study medicine to purse this instead' it could still in fact suggest the opposite and that I am indecisive despite doing so much work? Huge thanks
Original post by salviakasana03
I don’t think it would decrease or increase your chances per say especially, since you’re applying for a totally different course.it does give a bit of reassurance that you got in Leeds so who knows you’ll get in again. But it won’t make you stand out or anything. Every applicant is freshly examined and different faculties are involved.

wouldn't even apply to leeds, i'm coming purely from the does it reflect positively or have no bearing.
Original post by Levi.-
Perfect; so even if I spun it as 'oh i got into mathematics and these aspects over lockdown and became so invested and interested that I gave up a place at x to study medicine to purse this instead' it could still in fact suggest the opposite and that I am indecisive despite doing so much work? Huge thanks

Why not post your PS in the review section - you can get feedback.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372

It is totally confidential ...

The first bit of the sentence is fine but not the second ...
Why not post your PS in the review section - you can get feedback.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372

It is totally confidential ...

The first bit of the sentence is fine but not the second ...

its not actually my personal statement, I made that up on the fly to indicate what i might put next year
Original post by Levi.-
its not actually my personal statement, I made that up on the fly to indicate what i might put next year

OK - so do build up your Maths - have you done UKMT challenges, read some books [start with Rob Eastaway], etc.
Original post by Levi.-
wouldn't even apply to leeds, i'm coming purely from the does it reflect positively or have no bearing.

Oh then it doesn’t matter at all.
not really. If you have predicted grades matching or exceeding the requirements, you shouldn't have much trouble getting some offers for maths. though you should make sure your PS is very good still. (if you miss your grades on results day, personal statements may be used as a tiebreaker)
Original post by _gcx
not really. If you have predicted grades matching or exceeding the requirements, you shouldn't have much trouble getting some offers for maths. though you should make sure your PS is very good still. (if you miss your grades on results day, personal statements may be used as a tiebreaker)

I'd be applying for 2022 entry so would already have my achieved a-levels; i applied to med this year and regret it so I just wanna know if its worth going to my leeds interview in case it helps me next year
Original post by Levi.-
I'd be applying for 2022 entry so would already have my achieved a-levels; i applied to med this year and regret it so I just wanna know if its worth going to my leeds interview in case it helps me next year

Most maths courses (main exception Oxbridge) do not interview. Not sure how medicine interviews are structured and how they'd compare to an Oxbridge interview. If you have no plans on applying to Oxbridge, I wouldn't bother personally, unless you feel like it'd be a good learning experience generally.
Original post by Levi.-

You don’t have to wait to apply for maths. You can contact universities now about whether they will be accepting maths applications in extra (and whether they’ll need a new PS given that your current PS is for med). And if that doesn’t work out there’s also clearing in the summer.

Have a gap year as a fall back plan but try to get where you want this year.

In my experience dealing with maths admissions tutors (at a Russell group university), the majority didn’t even read the PS - they were only interested in maths and further maths gcse/AS/A level grades and occasionally the comments from maths teachers in the reference.
Just to add that I agree that holding an offer previously would not strengthen an application. Mentioning it is almost definitely going to be wasted space on a PS unless it's somehow tied into your motivation for the new course. There is also the possibility that it could be perceived as being a bit indecisive.

(I'm an admissions coordinator and score personal statements as part of my role.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending