The Student Room Group

Anxiety so bad I want to drop out?

My anxiety has been so bad that I've started to consider dropping out of uni. I'm in first year and living at home. My experience has been less than ideal due to Covid, lack of friends, and major lack of support from my uni. I have been struggling a lot with my mental health and haven't had anyone to talk to about it. I get thoughts that I'll never make friends because I'm unlikeable or that I'll embarrass myself during presentations, so I should drop out and save myself the embarrassment. I know these things are in the future and I shouldn't worry about them, but I can't help it. I do want the degree and I do want to be at university, but avoidance is the only thing that eases my anxiety.
It sounds like you're in a bit of a tough situation right now and although i'm not in your exact situation, i have anxiety so i understand. When my mental health started declining, i was doing awful in school, so i can imagine how much worse it is whilst in uni. I won't tell you exactly what to do but i think it's a good idea to spend a few days, a week or so etc evaluating your life at the minute and see what things are making you unhappy and anxious to see what you can do about it. If you decide to drop out of uni to spend some time on yourself and your well being, then good on you! it takes strength to do what is right for you. Of course you can stay in uni as well, which i think is what you'd rather do so in that case i'd recommend really exploring things that help ease your anxiety. You could always see a therapist if that's an option for you, otherwise there's plenty of support groups and people online you could try reaching out to. I personally find a creative outlet extremely helpful, especially when most of my schoolwork is very academic. No matter what you choose to do, remember that you're not alone and that you'll get through this, i promise. Hope i helped a little xx
Reply 2
would you consider contacting the well being departure at your uni? they may be able to offer some support or guidance before you make this decision. i have long term GAD and didn't even know the well being department existed till my personal tutor told me it did. if you need to talk about what you're experiencing they may be able to offer at least a few counselling sessions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending