The Student Room Group

Do you have a suitable study space

Poll

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Although we don't quite know exactly how students are going to receive grades in Year 11 and 13 this year still, we do know that there is still lots of work to be done and that the school year is far from over! However, with students still set to be working from home for the foreseeable future, I wanted to check in and see if you guys felt you had everything you needed to study and learn to the best of your abilities?

What is your study space like? Do you have enough space and resources, away from any distractions? Do you have the internet connection and tech required to make a success of online learning?

Considering everyone's circumstances are different, it would be amazing to find out how many of you feel you have everything you need to make this academic year as productive as possible. If there are any specific issues you've had since studying at home please share them below also :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have all the resources I need. The only issue I have with online learning is the fact that I get easily distracted and I tend to need other people in the room with me to motivate me and keep me focused. This was easier at school but it's much harder at home because I don't feel like there's anyone in the room with me during online lessons.
I don't have a desk to work on. I share a room with my sister but my room is too small that only 1 desk can fit and my sister uses that. Instead I just use the dining table to do work but it can get really noisy, especially when my parents are cooking or watching TV so I can't concentrate. I also have a laptop but my sister had to use it a lot as she didn't have a laptop so I couldn't do much work on it (she got one just a couple days ago so that's sorted). But I have everything else! :smile:

Also, having lessons at home makes it feel like I done a lot of work so I don't feel as motivated to revise since I think I've already done so much (whereas when I come home from school, I'm in a new environment in which I know I haven't done any work at home so I feel more motivated to revise).
I work from my bed, the lack of printing facilities is irritating at best, and my connection on meets often lets me down at least once a lesson.

I'm also lacking motivation if that counts as a resource 🙃
Reply 4
Original post by Bbubble061
I don't have a desk to work on. I share a room with my sister but my room is too small that only 1 desk can fit and my sister uses that. Instead I just use the dining table to do work but it can get really noisy, especially when my parents are cooking or watching TV so I can't concentrate. I also have a laptop but my sister had to use it a lot as she didn't have a laptop so I couldn't do much work on it (she got one just a couple days ago so that's sorted). But I have everything else! :smile:

Also, having lessons at home makes it feel like I done a lot of work so I don't feel as motivated to revise since I think I've already done so much (whereas when I come home from school, I'm in a new environment in which I know I haven't done any work at home so I feel more motivated to revise).

I'm in almost the same situation, I have a desk but some of my brothers don't... Oh how we wish for libraries open again...
It would be nice to have a printer. and none of the bedrooms in my house are big enough for a desk, so I work in the kitchen. Would be nice to have space for a desk in the room or have headphones
I got a desk in my room to do my studying and i do my revision sitting on my sofa
No, I was placed by the council in a hotel... ...without even a table in the room... . I am using my learning device from my bed. And a lot of clutter from all my belongings around me... . I am still needing to fill in a few papers, if I want to keep on getting housed by the council. I am feeling pretty scared that I was EVER moved out of my borough... . To a different London borough.
That said, I have not enrolled for my GCSE's yet or extra online courses in especially Maths... . Because I will need some help constructing nearly ANYTHING in Maths. I am still looking around for exam boards. I have my printer/scanner connected to my learning device. So, that is all working fine. But there are NO LIBRARIES OPEN TO BORROW BOOKS? This would usually be my first place on where to find the knowledge I wish to gain or enhance.
Not really, I don't have space for a desk.
I'm also living in a one bedroom apartment so I usually have to study in the bedroom. I can normally hear my partner working on his music so that's pretty distracting too.
Original post by Rumyodin
No, I was placed by the council in a hotel... ...without even a table in the room... . I am using my learning device from my bed. And a lot of clutter from all my belongings around me... . I am still needing to fill in a few papers, if I want to keep on getting housed by the council. I am feeling pretty scared that I was EVER moved out of my borough... . To a different London borough.

i also have recent experience of living in temporary housing so can deffo relate a little bit
:console:
I have only decided that I will try for a HIGHER TIER IN MATHS GCSE, I will need some more Maths skills... . I doubt that I ever received anything higher than a D in equivalents, so... . B to C would be quite a dream, when I look at every question asked. I am so confused about exam boards and choice of the exam boards.
Original post by Rumyodin
I have only decided that I will try for a HIGHER TIER IN MATHS GCSE, I will need some more Maths skills... . I doubt that I ever received anything higher than a D in equivalents, so... . B to C would be quite a dream, when I look at every question asked. I am so confused about exam boards and choice of the exam boards.

So assuming you're not in Wales, there's 3 main exam boards: Edexcel, AQA and OCR. At GCSE level it makes little difference which you take, although Edexcel is the most popular, so that would probably be the easiest to find somewhere to sit it :yep:
Original post by Obolinda
It would be nice to have a printer. and none of the bedrooms in my house are big enough for a desk, so I work in the kitchen. Would be nice to have space for a desk in the room or have headphones

What about the headphones that came with your smartphone?
Original post by CuriosityYay
What about the headphones that came with your smartphone?

they broke a long while ago. I've had my my phone for ~3/4 years
i have a good internet connection + contact with teachers via pre recorded lessons and live lessons, however i:
1) am easily distracted as i'm in my own home (cheeky trips to the kitchen)
2) am currently severely unmotivated for anything as i haven't seen my friends in over a month due to the welsh lockdown
3) have no printer so that's a bummer.
i think that teachers assume learning from home would be more enjoyable as it is a more comfortable space, but it just isn't as we have 0 contact with friends or even the teachers outside of online lessons. it's kinda depressing lol
I'm in my last year of college studying BTEC law, psychology and criminology and I just recently got a laptop to do my school work on, I don't have a desk so I must convert my bed into a place of study which I find completely unsuitable because I can get distracted easily by the things around me. On top of this, I am apart of a family of five living in a two bedroom council house so it's very rare for my home to be quiet. Teachers always told me that school isn't a place to sleep so I have always thought that it is unfair to consider our homes as a place of work. I understand the situation that we are in, these are special circumstances and I also know how hard it is for everyone, however, I think it is unfair to hold all students to the same high standards (in regards to quality and quantity of work) when we do not have the same resources to use. Moreover, because we are at home teachers think that we have more time and so they flood us with all these essay assignments which (the majority) are due in on the same day with a ridiculously short amount of time to complete. Not to mention the stress of wondering whether or not the government are going to make us do the exams. I have coursework to do, so spending time studying for exams without out any certainty that they're even going to take place is extremely stressful. Is it going to be like this when I go to University?
If any Uni student can respond to this and tell me their experiences, so I have an idea of what it's going to be like, I would really appreciate it.

On the flip side, my family is very considerate so they do try and keep the noise level down and when I ask for help with my work they are more than likely to do so. So I guess, despite my lack of resources and previous paragraph dedicated to complaining, there can be some advantages. :smile:
missing going to the library and studying out of the house - that was my most productive time!

I also keep having to move desks to cater for my family. i'm extremely fortunate to have different spaces that I can work in, but it just reinforces the idea that you don't have your own space.
Reply 18
Cannot count how many times the internet has cut me off mid-lesson, funniest moment was when I was cut off listening to an answer to a question I had. Noise isn't a problem because of headphones except when I am speaking through the mic (one time my sister told me to be quiet :tongue:).
Thankfully, I have a table that is mostly mine though it is in my parents' room.
My desk is a bit small for uni work but it was somewhat rectified by using some old kitchen worktop my parents found in the garage, so that's now balanced on my desk to make it a bit bigger. Missing the library and my printer which I left at uni though :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending