The Student Room Group

Prospective uni student help!!

So I did CIE IGCSE May/June series in 2020 and we got predicted grades due to COVID-19.
I did so bad. I got BBBCCCCCD. I want to do economics at a good uni such as Bristol or Warwick. Do I have a chance of getting into either of them (btw i passed English and Maths).
I am taking A level maths and econ and currently doing well in both of them plus I am doing lots of work experience plus doing extra work for my application + reading economic related books. I am applying to uni this october so i just want to know should i retake some of IGCSE exams or should i leave it and just focus on getting AAA or above for a levels?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by vickymads
So I did CIE IGCSE May/June series in 2020 and we got predicted grades due to COVID-19.
I did so bad. I got BBBCCCCCD. I want to do economics at a good uni such as Bristol or Warwick. Do I have a chance of getting into either of them (btw i passed English and Maths).
I am taking A level maths and econ and currently doing well in both of them plus I am doing lots of work experience plus doing extra work for my application + reading economic related books. I am applying to uni this october so i just want to know should i retake some of IGCSE exams or should i leave it and just focus on getting AAA or above for a levels?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Have you checked the entry requirements for such universities? What did you get at GCSE for English Language and Maths?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you checked the entry requirements for such universities? What did you get at GCSE for English Language and Maths?

Both universities haven't mentioned specific GCSEs grades you have to achieve.
I have passed both maths and English. I have got a B in both.
I want to do economics which is a very competitive course so I wanted to know if I would be looked down upon due to my GCSE grades.
Both universities haven't mentioned specific GCSEs grades you have to achieve.
I have passed both maths and English. I have got a B in both.
I want to do economics which is a very competitive course so I wanted to know if I would be looked down upon due to my GCSE grades.

On the downside both the unis you mentioned want A*AA at A-level so that's your minimum target. Your GCSEs would normally be an issue because when you apply with predicted grades unis have to assess how reliable those predictions are. Going from a B In Maths GCSE to an A or A* might seem a bit of a stretch, for example.

However, the current disruption might work in your favour because your GCSEs aren't actual results measuring your ability. As such, I suggest you work extremely hard on your A-levels to try to improve your academic profile. I also suggest that you consider a gap year (or adjustment) if you don't receive offers from universities you like, but you eventually achieve high grades at A-level.
Reply 4
On the downside both the unis you mentioned want A*AA at A-level so that's your minimum target. Your GCSEs would normally be an issue because when you apply with predicted grades unis have to assess how reliable those predictions are. Going from a B In Maths GCSE to an A or A* might seem a bit of a stretch, for example.

However, the current disruption might work in your favour because your GCSEs aren't actual results measuring your ability. As such, I suggest you work extremely hard on your A-levels to try to improve your academic profile. I also suggest that you consider a gap year (or adjustment) if you don't receive offers from universities you like, but you eventually achieve high grades at A-level.

I will definitely not be taking a gap year. I have already decided to go to uni for sure. I think it just means I'll have to apply to a university that isn't a top uni. Do you think if I resat maths to get an A and the subject I have got a D into at least a C .. will I be in a better place?
I will definitely not be taking a gap year. I have already decided to go to uni for sure. I think it just means I'll have to apply to a university that isn't a top uni. Do you think if I resat maths to get an A and the subject I have got a D into at least a C .. will I be in a better place?

For economics, yes. The only other one of particular importance would be English Language as some unis want a certain grade.

Why so adamantly against a gap year?
Reply 6
For economics, yes. The only other one of particular importance would be English Language as some unis want a certain grade.

Why so adamantly against a gap year?

I want to do post-graduate as well therefore I feel as if I'll be wasting a year. I want to get through my education quickly so I can have time to look for a job as economics/finance are very competitive so it's better for me to complete education on time rather than lag behind a year. Plus I feel as if it's of a more personal preference.

Also that D grade is in a subject that is no way related to Economics, should I bother resitting if it doesn't matter?
I want to do post-graduate as well therefore I feel as if I'll be wasting a year. I want to get through my education quickly so I can have time to look for a job as economics/finance are very competitive so it's better for me to complete education on time rather than lag behind a year. Plus I feel as if it's of a more personal preference.

Also that D grade is in a subject that is no way related to Economics, should I bother resitting if it doesn't matter?

Getting through your education quickly doesn't really matter. Getting a good education does.

If the D is irrelevant leave it. Have you got at least a B in English Language?
Reply 8
Getting through your education quickly doesn't really matter. Getting a good education does.

If the D is irrelevant leave it. Have you got at least a B in English Language?

Yes I have B in English language :smile:
I think i should just retake igcse maths cus its important for my course.

You're right good education is important.. but personally, i feel as if i should be on track for education and I don't want to be behind. Also, my parents don't want me to do gap year either.
Yes I have B in English language :smile:
I think i should just retake igcse maths cus its important for my course.

You're right good education is important.. but personally, i feel as if i should be on track for education and I don't want to be behind. Also, my parents don't want me to do gap year either.

Ok your English Language should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending