The Student Room Group

University of Sheffield Postgraduate Offer Holders?

I just received my masters offer from the University of Sheffield today! :u:
It's for MSc Science Communication starting in Sep 2021 and I can't wait! My last year has been spent working to save up for the accommodation and it feels great that it is finally paying off.

I'm eager to meet any other postgrad offer holders, so if you have an offer please let me know!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey :smile: I’ll be studying Msc psychological research
Reply 2
Which accommodation are you planning to apply for?
Hey :smile: I have also an offer holder, and I will hopefully be starting my PhD this October if I receive funding for my research. This will actually be my second degree from the University of Sheffield as I completed my MA in International Development in 2019.
Reply 4
Original post by FoodnBooks
Hey :smile: I have also an offer holder, and I will hopefully be starting my PhD this October if I receive funding for my research. This will actually be my second degree from the University of Sheffield as I completed my MA in International Development in 2019.

That’s great ☺️ Do you have any experiences with accommodation? I thought I’d go to endcliffe ... is it a good choice?
I lived in Ranmoor during my Master's programme, but I did spend some time in Endcliffe as it's literally down the hill from Ranmoor. What exactly are you looking for? As a postgraduate, you have access only to some buildings allocated for postgrads (51 weeks) in Endcliffe and Ranmoor. If you're looking for more entertainment, then I would say go for Endcliffe. You would be surrounded by a lot more undergraduates and the Edge. Ranmoor is a lot quieter of the two. However, both are very close to one another.
Reply 6
I lived in Ranmoor during my Master's programme, but I did spend some time in Endcliffe as it's literally down the hill from Ranmoor. What exactly are you looking for? As a postgraduate, you have access only to some buildings allocated for postgrads (51 weeks) in Endcliffe and Ranmoor. If you're looking for more entertainment, then I would say go for Endcliffe. You would be surrounded by a lot more undergraduates and the Edge. Ranmoor is a lot quieter of the two. However, both are very close to one another.

Thanks ☺️ So I am looking for a social place where it’s easy to meet people. It would be nice to have flatmates who are open for going out or having game nights or cooking together. I think endcliffe seems like a good place for that and online I read that city accommodations are much calmer and not as social ... is that true? On the other hand, I also found people saying that most postgraduates and internationals live in the city, so maybe people from my programme will rather live there.

Specifically, I looked into Endcliffe Crescent or Oakholme Road Houses... do you know anything about these?

How good is the transport connection to endcliffe, so for example after a night out in the city, are there busses or how do people get back there usually?

So many questions 😅 you don’t need to answer all of them ... it’s just that I am from Germany and have never been to Sheffield so I really don’t know what it is like in terms of nightlife/distance/public transport/saftey at night when going home 🤔
Original post by mi_am
Thanks ☺️ So I am looking for a social place where it’s easy to meet people. It would be nice to have flatmates who are open for going out or having game nights or cooking together. I think endcliffe seems like a good place for that and online I read that city accommodations are much calmer and not as social ... is that true? On the other hand, I also found people saying that most postgraduates and internationals live in the city, so maybe people from my programme will rather live there.

Specifically, I looked into Endcliffe Crescent or Oakholme Road Houses... do you know anything about these?

How good is the transport connection to endcliffe, so for example after a night out in the city, are there busses or how do people get back there usually?

So many questions 😅 you don’t need to answer all of them ... it’s just that I am from Germany and have never been to Sheffield so I really don’t know what it is like in terms of nightlife/distance/public transport/saftey at night when going home 🤔

I don't know much about city accommodation, unfortunately. In my personal opinion, if you want to be closer to the nightlife in the city centre then that's an option. Plus, some of those accommodations are more recently renovated compared to Endcliffe/Ranmoor. However, it may not be that lively as people go out to have fun rather than stay in. In my experience, international students were scattered all over the place lol. As for postgraduates, some of us chose the postgraduate building in Ranmoor and the rest scattered throughout the other accommodations.

The transport from Endcliffe/Ranmoor to the university and the City Centre is pretty great. There are literally bus stops (120 bus) right outside of Ranmoor and Endcliffe Village, all along Fulwood Road (which is the main road toward university). Also, it's only a 25-30 minute walk. It's a little more difficult coming from Endlciffe since it's down a steep hill, but there are shortcuts to different parts of the university. A lot of people from Endlicliffe/Ranmoor travel to West Street at night/weekends for drinks, clubs, etc. For instance, every Saturday students pre-game in their rooms before heading into town for the pubs and clubs. They always take the last 120 bus into town and take an Uber/CityTaxi back around 3am waking everyone up with their drunkeness.

I think Sheffield is pretty safe. I have walked home at night by myself and not felt worried as a woman walking home. However, there are buses, Uber, CityTaxi, as well as a minibus (if you are a woman) that will shuttle you home if you don't want to walk back alone.
Reply 8
I don't know much about city accommodation, unfortunately. In my personal opinion, if you want to be closer to the nightlife in the city centre then that's an option. Plus, some of those accommodations are more recently renovated compared to Endcliffe/Ranmoor. However, it may not be that lively as people go out to have fun rather than stay in. In my experience, international students were scattered all over the place lol. As for postgraduates, some of us chose the postgraduate building in Ranmoor and the rest scattered throughout the other accommodations.

The transport from Endcliffe/Ranmoor to the university and the City Centre is pretty great. There are literally bus stops (120 bus) right outside of Ranmoor and Endcliffe Village, all along Fulwood Road (which is the main road toward university). Also, it's only a 25-30 minute walk. It's a little more difficult coming from Endlciffe since it's down a steep hill, but there are shortcuts to different parts of the university. A lot of people from Endlicliffe/Ranmoor travel to West Street at night/weekends for drinks, clubs, etc. For instance, every Saturday students pre-game in their rooms before heading into town for the pubs and clubs. They always take the last 120 bus into town and take an Uber/CityTaxi back around 3am waking everyone up with their drunkeness.

I think Sheffield is pretty safe. I have walked home at night by myself and not felt worried as a woman walking home. However, there are buses, Uber, CityTaxi, as well as a minibus (if you are a woman) that will shuttle you home if you don't want to walk back alone.

Thank you so much ☺️ Then I think endcliffe is a good choice for me ... my main concern was getting back there safely at night, but from what you wrote it seems like I don’t have to worry about that ☺️
Original post by mi_am
Thank you so much ☺️ Then I think endcliffe is a good choice for me ... my main concern was getting back there safely at night, but from what you wrote it seems like I don’t have to worry about that ☺️

No problem :smile: Good luck
Which is the dedicated postgraduate accommodation at Ranmoor? My friend studied a masters at Sheffield 2 years ago and was in a flat with a mix of undergraduate and postgraduate people - I definitely don’t want to be sharing with undergrads! Thanks :smile:

Original post by SLTWannabe
Which is the dedicated postgraduate accommodation at Ranmoor? My friend studied a masters at Sheffield 2 years ago and was in a flat with a mix of undergraduate and postgraduate people - I definitely don’t want to be sharing with undergrads! Thanks :smile:

It used to be Ravenstone Apartments, but they moved the PhD students who were still living in Ravenstone to Ramshaw last summer because of renovations or some stupid excuse. I'm not sure if this will be the for sure postgraduate building going forward though. Check with the accommodation office.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mi_am
Which accommodation are you planning to apply for?

I applied for Cratcliffe (42 week contract, upgrading to 51 if needed). Was considering city for a while but can't afford those Allen Court prices!
Original post by jason_r
I applied for Cratcliffe (42 week contract, upgrading to 51 if needed). Was considering city for a while but can't afford those Allen Court prices!

I didn't know you could upgrade to 51 weeks at Cratcliffe?!
Reply 14
I didn't know you could upgrade to 51 weeks at Cratcliffe?!

That's the catch, I don't think you're guaranteed to stay in the same flat/location for the final few weeks if you upgrade. It's certainly not ideal, but my course offers placements so if I pay for 51 I might not use all of it..
Congratulations!! :smile:
I’ll be taking up MA Digital Media and Society!
Reply 16
Original post by sunshains
Congratulations!! :smile:
I’ll be taking up MA Digital Media and Society!

That sounds amazing! Sci comm has a bit of video/documentary production in so there may be some overlap
Original post by jason_r
That's the catch, I don't think you're guaranteed to stay in the same flat/location for the final few weeks if you upgrade. It's certainly not ideal, but my course offers placements so if I pay for 51 I might not use all of it..

Ah right I see! That's a bit frustrating. I'm looking at Ravenstones as my course is 45 weeks!
Reply 18
Ah right I see! That's a bit frustrating. I'm looking at Ravenstones as my course is 45 weeks!

I booked ravenstones ☺️
Original post by mi_am
I booked ravenstones ☺️

Aaah how exciting! I'll see you there! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest