The Student Room Group

When should I be applying for university??

I'm currently an AS level student living in Dubai, should I be applying to Australian universities now, or do they prefer students with complete A levels?
(edited 3 years ago)
In Most countries you apply the year before. So if you’re going to start in 2022, you would begin your application in oct/Nov of 2021
Reply 2
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
In Most countries you apply the year before. So if you’re going to start in 2022, you would begin your application in oct/Nov of 2021

Do you have an idea if I can apply with only my AS level? Thanks for replying btw :smile:
Most people usually don’t have their Alevel grades when they apply bc of the time of year you apply.
So yes you can apply with AS results but you will need to provide predicted grades for your Alevels
Reply 4
Original post by sudanian
I'm currently an AS level student living in Dubai, should I be applying to Australian universities now, or do they prefer students with complete A levels?

Hey! You might have already applied, and in that case, sorry about the late reply. But, I thought I'd just mention what I'm doing. I'm an Australian citizen, living in Singapore, but studying at an online school that runs off the English curriculum so I'm studying my international A Levels (finished my AS exams in May). I'm applying for Australian unis next August so I can start uni in February 2023 because the Australian school year starts in Feb and goes until November/December. Applications for most Australian universities only open the August prior to starting. Hence, when I finish school next July, I'll get my results in August and can apply with my full A Level results!
Reply 5
Original post by Winter16
Hey! You might have already applied, and in that case, sorry about the late reply. But, I thought I'd just mention what I'm doing. I'm an Australian citizen, living in Singapore, but studying at an online school that runs off the English curriculum so I'm studying my international A Levels (finished my AS exams in May). I'm applying for Australian unis next August so I can start uni in February 2023 because the Australian school year starts in Feb and goes until November/December. Applications for most Australian universities only open the August prior to starting. Hence, when I finish school next July, I'll get my results in August and can apply with my full A Level results!

Hey! I'm so happy I saw this because that's what I'm planning to do too. However, I'm a bit worried about my AS exam grades, since they weren't the best, but I think my A levels should be much better. Do you think that would affect my application or not get me accepted into universities if my AS exams were bad even though I'm applying with my full A level results?
Reply 6
Hey! I'm so happy I saw this because that's what I'm planning to do too. However, I'm a bit worried about my AS exam grades, since they weren't the best, but I think my A levels should be much better. Do you think that would affect my application or not get me accepted into universities if my AS exams were bad even though I'm applying with my full A level results?

Hey! I'm glad that you saw it too, it's a super stressful thing. The great thing about applying to Australian universities with A Levels is that because you apply AFTER A Level results come out, they don't actually take them into account in the application process. You might still need to show your AS results (you'll need to check the application website/university/etc for that), but they're not actually considered in whether or not you get the place, just your full A Level results!
The requirements for A Levels are also fairly low in Australia (compared to say, the UK or Singapore) because they don't often have students apply with them!
So essentially, no I don't think they will impact your ability to get accepted at all :smile:

If I may ask, which unis do you want to apply for and for what?
unrelated, but are you sudani?
Reply 8
Original post by nightingalegend
unrelated, but are you sudani?

Yupp :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Winter16
Hey! I'm glad that you saw it too, it's a super stressful thing. The great thing about applying to Australian universities with A Levels is that because you apply AFTER A Level results come out, they don't actually take them into account in the application process. You might still need to show your AS results (you'll need to check the application website/university/etc for that), but they're not actually considered in whether or not you get the place, just your full A Level results!
The requirements for A Levels are also fairly low in Australia (compared to say, the UK or Singapore) because they don't often have students apply with them!
So essentially, no I don't think they will impact your ability to get accepted at all :smile:

If I may ask, which unis do you want to apply for and for what?

Well, I'm looking for unis that offer scholarships since living in Australia is quite expensive, but I'm interested in applying for Software Engineering, in some of these universities. I haven't quite narrowed it down but here's a part of my mini list :smile:

- Monash University
-Swinburne University of Tech
-University of New South Wales
-University of Adelaide

What about yourself, if I may ask?
Yupp :smile:

same! love that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending