The Student Room Group

No reply to my message after 4 weeks. Should I send a follow up message?

How would you feel if you received this message? Is this an okay message to send to a friend?

NB: I have Aspergers so (can) struggle in typing out long messages like these to friends due to overthinking. I just want to check that it is not too long/overwhelming etc...

"Hi [friend's name], So sorry for the late reply I am not on FB as much these days, that’s for sure! Great to hear that things are going well with your studies how long to go now before you graduate? J I guess the second-wave has changed things in Italy since this too? We’re back in a full national lockdown here in the UK. I am so glad that there has been so much progress with the vaccines recently. About 5 and a half million people have been vaccinated here so far (including my grandad yesterday ), so hopefully all of this lockdown madness will be over soon! Do you think that you will stay in Italy after your studies? Also, sorry to hear that you contracted the virus our parents bumped in to each other in [hometown] a few months ago and they were saying. Hope you’re all better from that now? I tested positive last spring and slept for days afterwards… I finally(!!) graduated from university last year all that hard-work, stress and occasional keyboard meltdowns were worth it in the end. Seriously speaking though, thank you so much for all your great tips about uni and I’m really sorry again if my ranting was overwhelming. Looking back, I got way too stressed about things that seem so trivial now but didn’t when I was there. It is quite upsetting reading back some of the things I said, especially like ‘I have no friends’. I guess I was just massively stressing myself by over-focusing on some bad experiences with a few people in my first-year and couldn’t see past it at the time. As difficult as it seemed at the time, I was always determined to go back there and graduate after that experience in my first-year, and so glad I did I met so many wonderful friends there in the end. But it’s especially upsetting to think that I sent things like ‘I have no friends’ to you in particular, as I have always considered you as a friend right from when we first met at pre-school haha and a great one at that. I was going to be starting my masters last September at uni in Scotland but due to the pandemic I will start this year (fingers-crossed). I feel so sorry for students here at the moment I couldn’t imagine studying for a degree all over Zoom…. I managed to do quite a bit of travelling in Europe last summer after graduating mainly Eastern Europe. I can’t wait for the borders to open again. Do you still like traveling? I really liked seeing your blog-posts and great photos from your travels a couple of years ago. Looked amazing, and very fun! I’m keeping busy working from home at the moment. I normally commuted to [city name] most weekdays back in the summer of 2017 when I did my first internship there, so the concept of ‘work from home’ and not seeing people face-to-face in an office was rather strange to me at first!"
Seems like a perfectly reasonable message to send!
Reply 2
Hi - I sent it about 4 weeks ago but haven’t heard back yet. I worry a bit that it was too long. Should I send a shorter - maybe one sentence - message?

Original post by dacb2f2dd4
Seems like a perfectly reasonable message to send!
Keep texting her until you get a response.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Keep texting her until you get a response.

Not appropriate.
Not appropriate.

Jeez, calm down.
Reply 6
You said previously you'd taken a few weeks to reply to this friend, then in the message it's been months! It's long, it's a mix of apology and friendly and it's difficult to know what you are trying to convey. Leave it be.
Hi - I sent it about 4 weeks ago but haven’t heard back yet. I worry a bit that it was too long. Should I send a shorter - maybe one sentence - message?

I'd say it's probably best to leave it as is - it's a long message, may take a while to get through, and if you message each other infrequently, it may not even have been seen yet.
Could be that you'll get some sort of reply to all/part of it at some point in the near-future.
I'd say wait and see.
Reply 8
I just really feel like writing ‘I miss you so much and I wish we could have spoken more. I know I tend to write long essays on here, but if you ever wanted to meet for a coffee or a socially distanced walk one day it would be my honour to catch up with you <3’

Would this be okay/appropriate to send?
Reply 9
I just really feel like writing ‘I miss you so much and I wish we could have spoken more. I know I tend to write long essays on here, but if you ever wanted to meet for a coffee or a socially distanced walk one day it would be my honour to catch up with you <3’

???????

It is appropriate in isolation.

However, seen that they haven’t replied to your previous message. Not the best thing to follow up with asking about meeting
So what should I say then? Something that is shorter, clearer and easier to reply to?
It is appropriate in isolation.

However, seen that they haven’t replied to your previous message. Not the best thing to follow up with asking about meeting
How would you feel if you received this message? Is this an okay message to send to a friend?

NB: I have Aspergers so (can) struggle in typing out long messages like these to friends due to overthinking. I just want to check that it is not too long/overwhelming etc...

"Hi [friend's name], So sorry for the late reply I am not on FB as much these days, that’s for sure! Great to hear that things are going well with your studies how long to go now before you graduate? J I guess the second-wave has changed things in Italy since this too? We’re back in a full national lockdown here in the UK. I am so glad that there has been so much progress with the vaccines recently. About 5 and a half million people have been vaccinated here so far (including my grandad yesterday ), so hopefully all of this lockdown madness will be over soon! Do you think that you will stay in Italy after your studies? Also, sorry to hear that you contracted the virus our parents bumped in to each other in [hometown] a few months ago and they were saying. Hope you’re all better from that now? I tested positive last spring and slept for days afterwards… I finally(!!) graduated from university last year all that hard-work, stress and occasional keyboard meltdowns were worth it in the end. Seriously speaking though, thank you so much for all your great tips about uni and I’m really sorry again if my ranting was overwhelming. Looking back, I got way too stressed about things that seem so trivial now but didn’t when I was there. It is quite upsetting reading back some of the things I said, especially like ‘I have no friends’. I guess I was just massively stressing myself by over-focusing on some bad experiences with a few people in my first-year and couldn’t see past it at the time. As difficult as it seemed at the time, I was always determined to go back there and graduate after that experience in my first-year, and so glad I did I met so many wonderful friends there in the end. But it’s especially upsetting to think that I sent things like ‘I have no friends’ to you in particular, as I have always considered you as a friend right from when we first met at pre-school haha and a great one at that. I was going to be starting my masters last September at uni in Scotland but due to the pandemic I will start this year (fingers-crossed). I feel so sorry for students here at the moment I couldn’t imagine studying for a degree all over Zoom…. I managed to do quite a bit of travelling in Europe last summer after graduating mainly Eastern Europe. I can’t wait for the borders to open again. Do you still like traveling? I really liked seeing your blog-posts and great photos from your travels a couple of years ago. Looked amazing, and very fun! I’m keeping busy working from home at the moment. I normally commuted to [city name] most weekdays back in the summer of 2017 when I did my first internship there, so the concept of ‘work from home’ and not seeing people face-to-face in an office was rather strange to me at first!"

Hello,

It depends on your relationship with this individual. If you weren’t particular close then I would say this is quite a big message and potentially could have put the person off. That said I’m super bad with replying to peoples messages, I would never leave it four weeks but I definitely leave a few days before I remember to reply. I definitely wouldn’t contact again until they contact you as it might look like you’re pestering them. Definitely try not to look too much into it, it’s their loss if they’re not willing to put the effort into your friendship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending