The Student Room Group

How to catch up on uni work?

So, pretty much, I've had a shockingly bad start to university. I had been mildly depressed before arriving and by the end of the first term I had sunken into a severe depression. I didn't want to get out of bed, I didn't eat, had lost interest in virtually everything and was genuinely quite close to ending it all. (Dramatic, yes). December is when it was at it's worst and it was a very rough period and I didn't know if I was going to make it out. Fast forward a bit to January, I contacted the GP and got some anti depressants and stayed on them for a couple of months which gradually lifted me out of the depression along with other techniques I learnt. The issue is that I missed out on a lot of school work for a good couple of months and am quite far behind. I've been working quite hard to catch up (8+ hours per day recently with the occasional day off) but it is really difficult. I haven't told my tutor about my situation and as far as the university are concerned, I'm doing fine. Has anyone been through something similar before? If so, how did you get catch up on work? Any tips on things I can do to help catch up?

TL;DR: I'm far behind on work, how tf do I catch up?
Hello,

Sorry to hear this, but I admire your perseverance.

It's great to here the anti-depressants are helping you out of your depression.

I think you should defo speak to university / tutor about your current situation because this has impacted your ability to study. In most cases your tutor should be understanding and you could get extenuating circumstances. At best they may be able to give you an extended deadline for your exams or reports.

Hope it all works out!
Reply 2
Original post by AdamLeFont
Hello,

I think you should defo speak to university / tutor about your current situation because this has impacted your ability to study. In most cases your tutor should be understanding and you could get extenuating circumstances. At best they may be able to give you an extended deadline for your exams or reports.

Hope it all works out!

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by AdamLeFont
Hello,

Hope it all works out!

Completely agree, step 1 of improvement should be talking to others and those who can help (like you did for helping the depression by seeing your GP).

8hrs a day is great, maybe try and do a bit more, but have breaks during the day to make that more manageable. Could you catch up with some people on your course, and see if they could offer a bit of time and attention (doesn't have to be much) to see if they can help you with maybe the harder stuff you're trying to catch up on. Maybe review HOW you're studying, could you be more efficient?

Slumps and demotivation is awful, but stuff almost always improves over time! (Even if you have to work a bit to get the improvement to start happening.) So remember self kindness and working ya booty off must be balanced together, and not one greater than the other!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by thatguy3434
So, pretty much, I've had a shockingly bad start to university. I had been mildly depressed before arriving and by the end of the first term I had sunken into a severe depression. I didn't want to get out of bed, I didn't eat, had lost interest in virtually everything and was genuinely quite close to ending it all. (Dramatic, yes). December is when it was at it's worst and it was a very rough period and I didn't know if I was going to make it out. Fast forward a bit to January, I contacted the GP and got some anti depressants and stayed on them for a couple of months which gradually lifted me out of the depression along with other techniques I learnt. The issue is that I missed out on a lot of school work for a good couple of months and am quite far behind. I've been working quite hard to catch up (8+ hours per day recently with the occasional day off) but it is really difficult. I haven't told my tutor about my situation and as far as the university are concerned, I'm doing fine. Has anyone been through something similar before? If so, how did you get catch up on work? Any tips on things I can do to help catch up?

TL;DR: I'm far behind on work, how tf do I catch up?

Hi @thatguy3434

Sorry to hear that you’re struggling :frown: I've tried to keep to the same routine that I've had pre-pandemic. I plan a week in advance in my diary so I know what deadlines I've got coming up and I make small lists for each day too. This helps me see what I've managed to do, even though sometimes I don't get everything on my list finished.

I've been through something similar to yourself before and had to spend 8 hours a day catching up. I found study skills books really useful as they helped me gain a better understanding of the topics covered in lectures.

Have you spoken to your lecturers or personal tutor about how you’re feeling? They will support you as much as they can and could offer you guidance on getting extensions for your course work. Our lecture and webcasts transcripts are posted online, you could always ask your lecturer to post these so you can go over them again?

Also make some time to rest too. It's really important to have days off, even if you’ve not managed to get all your tasks completed during the week. I try and take small breaks throughout the day and go out for a walk to get some fresh air.

Reward yourself for the work you finish- this could be half an hour of a favourite tv show or a ten minute catch up on the phone with a friend.

Hope this helps :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you've gone through that :frown: but very glad to know that you're feeling a bit better.

I agree with everyone on this forum in the terms of reaching out to your tutor. They're role is to help students that need an extra helping hand, so you may as well get into contact with them. They might offer you some beneficial solutions, or just be that 'shoulder' for you to rant on! They might even offer you different services the University offers - which is really good.
It sounds like you're working really hard to get back on top, which is great! But don't forget to give yourself a bit of time out, and time to just chill. The last thing you want to do is burn out, so make sure to always reward yourself and take frequent breaks :smile:

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending