The Student Room Group

9 9s at GCSE

I'm currently in year 9 and I really want to get all 9s at gcse. I go to a very good school, I'm a great student and I want to know if anyone has tips. I've started making flashcards already, and I'm doing aqa so any tips for that specifically? I'm doing german, spanish, triple science, maths, english lit and lang and history.

Scroll to see replies

you only do 9! lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 2
Original post by Buddingdentist08
you only do 9! lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah our school just want us to get the best possible grades
Original post by earmstrong7
yeah our school just want us to get the best possible grades

yh that makes sense. i go to a selective school and they make us do 10 at least. My older brother did 12 level 2 qualifications though so i'm lucky in some way
You’re in year 9, and want to get 9, 9’s in 9 months?

Past papers are your best friend
(edited 3 years ago)
My school makes us do 8.
Honestly, don’t pressure yourself that much to do revision everyday. You are a child and still meant to have fun. Use CGP guides and mainly focus on the topics you’re doing now.
Don’t make revision material but only if you want to. I think it’s a waste of time as For example if you covered up a section from the revision guide that you need to learn, you can test yourself just like a flashcard or mindmap. They have the same functions. And I hope you get all 9s BUT it doesn’t matter if you don’t. Everyone ha admixtures of 9s 8s and 7s which is still rly good. Good luck!
Original post by earmstrong7
I'm currently in year 9 and I really want to get all 9s at gcse. I go to a very good school, I'm a great student and I want to know if anyone has tips. I've started making flashcards already, and I'm doing aqa so any tips for that specifically? I'm doing german, spanish, triple science, maths, english lit and lang and history.

Literally just listen in lessons and do your homeworks on time. Keep on top of things and stay organised, then when revision comes around it'll be much easier.
I did get straight 9s at GCSE and obviously everyone is different but I was absolutely not thinking about revising for GCSEs in year 9. Clearly you need to be keeping up with homework and doing well in class tests but if you start putting too much pressure on yourself now it is far more likely that you will burnout and end up not doing so well.
Apart from french :mad:
hahah I wish :lol:
Original post by kittyfifi123456
Apart from french :mad:

french really isnt all that hard
Original post by Lwexi12
french really isnt all that hard

uh I hated it :s-smilie:
Original post by kittyfifi123456
uh I hated it :s-smilie:

yeah, its hard in a structural way but I'm pretty decent at it
just make sure that you don't over work now because when it comes to mocks you don't want to be completely burnt out.
Original post by Lwexi12
yeah, its hard in a structural way but I'm pretty decent at it

I kinda wish I picked spanish as I love watching spanish shows..
I agree with what other people have said, you really don't want to burn yourself out right now, just do your homework to the best of your ability and be attentive.
As your doing languages you could start learning your vocab. If you look up memrise you should be able to find courses on there that have your entire vocab list for your exam board. It will really help you to learn your vocab, 5-10 mins per day. I'm in year 11 now and I wish I had done that every day since year 9. You could also read through your specification and get used to it. Part of doing well is knowing your specification which tells you exactly what you need to know.
Finally, if that really doesn't feel enough you could focus on your exam technique because you have to know how to answer the questions not just know the knowledge. It does take time and work tp this, and it is something that naturally comes with time but you could give a head start if you wanted. However, you shouldn't over panic about this too much.
I also want to say, and I'm not trying to pessimistic, I'm a very optimistic person, but don't expect to getting 9s at the beginning of year 10. I was getting 9s at the end of year 9, but when I got into year 10 it dropped to 5/6s. Over time that's gone up and now I'm at 8/9s again. I fully expect for that to happen to me in year 12 as well. This stuff just comes with time, and if you're doing good now, you will do good later you just have to wait.
If you need any more help with this/need me to explain more please ask. Feel free to pm as well :smile:
Original post by heldbygrace
I agree with what other people have said, you really don't want to burn yourself out right now, just do your homework to the best of your ability and be attentive.
As your doing languages you could start learning your vocab. If you look up memrise you should be able to find courses on there that have your entire vocab list for your exam board. It will really help you to learn your vocab, 5-10 mins per day. I'm in year 11 now and I wish I had done that every day since year 9. You could also read through your specification and get used to it. Part of doing well is knowing your specification which tells you exactly what you need to know.
Finally, if that really doesn't feel enough you could focus on your exam technique because you have to know how to answer the questions not just know the knowledge. It does take time and work tp this, and it is something that naturally comes with time but you could give a head start if you wanted. However, you shouldn't over panic about this too much.
I also want to say, and I'm not trying to pessimistic, I'm a very optimistic person, but don't expect to getting 9s at the beginning of year 10. I was getting 9s at the end of year 9, but when I got into year 10 it dropped to 5/6s. Over time that's gone up and now I'm at 8/9s again. I fully expect for that to happen to me in year 12 as well. This stuff just comes with time, and if you're doing good now, you will do good later you just have to wait.
If you need any more help with this/need me to explain more please ask. Feel free to pm as well :smile:

anyone who gets 99999999 for everything is smart imo

i would get 111111111111 lol
Original post by Buddingdentist08
yh that makes sense. i go to a selective school and they make us do 10 at least. My older brother did 12 level 2 qualifications though so i'm lucky in some way

yh same my grammar school makes us do 10 so I will do history religious education spanish and economics
It's been a good 4 yrs almost but i got a 9 in English Lit and mr.bruff's yt channel alongside the revision guides really helped. Generally though, past papers and yt are your go-to resources.
I got good GCSEs and all I can say is don't overwork yourself. In year 9 I was getting like 4s or something lol. Another thing I'd say is don't beat yourself up if you get a crap grade, cos you have room to improve.

I think I revised more for mocks in year 10 than my actual GCSEs :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest