The Student Room Group

What Laptop would you recommend?

Hi,
So I’m going to be doing International Relations at uni and I’m really lost in what laptop would be best. I have heard great things about MacBooks but 1) is it worth the money? and 2) is it what I really need?
Obviously I don’t really know 100% what I will need for the course so any tips, recommendations or advice would go along way! (I have also never had a laptop before so I literally know nothing!)
Thank you in advance!
International relations is essay heavy but as long as you can open articles and use Word and Powerpoint you should be good. Some IR courses involve statistics so being able to use STATA would also be good but again, it's not very computer intensive. You certainly don't need a 1000 pound mac.
Original post by Eih500
Hi,
So I’m going to be doing International Relations at uni and I’m really lost in what laptop would be best. I have heard great things about MacBooks but 1) is it worth the money? and 2) is it what I really need?
Obviously I don’t really know 100% what I will need for the course so any tips, recommendations or advice would go along way! (I have also never had a laptop before so I literally know nothing!)
Thank you in advance!

you don't need a MacBook - only get one if you are more comfortable on MacOS than on Windows. personally i find MacOS an absolute pain because everything is different to Windows.

Generally speaking the best value laptop brand is Lenovo imo
Original post by Eih500
Hi,
Thank you in advance!

Hi there,

I thought I'd reach out and let you know that I have a HP Pavilion - and I don't have any problems with mine :smile: The MacBook price tag definitely put me off - but they are very popular amongst students. Equally, there are a lot of students with HP's, and we're definitely not at a disadvantage or anything :biggrin: I think my tip would be to get a laptop on the smaller side, just because you'll be lugging it everywhere so it needs to fit in your bag!

Hope you choose the right laptop for you!

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Original post by Eih500
Hi,
Thank you in advance!

Hello!

My best friend at uni studies International relations and she has the same laptop as me- HP Pavilion 14. The 14" is the smaller size and is perfectly lightweight. Plus it doesn't have as huge a price tag as a MacBook!

My friend said her course is all essay/coursework based so you will be needing to use word a lot. She said she got the Core I3 Processing and bought it from Curry's as there was a discount!

Hope this helps!
Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Eih500
Hi,
Thank you in advance!

chrome book is really good
Original post by Eih500
Hi,
Thank you in advance!

Avoid the Mac to expensive given it's specs just get an i5 Dell Xps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending