The Student Room Group

Dropping out of *****y masters to do a PGCE but no Money???

After a strong 7 months of going on a bender, doing my assignments being drunk and under the influence, I’m ready to drop out of masters in psychology. I’m going to stop being a pussy and I’m going to apply and do a PGCE

However I have a lot of questions. I have no money as I have used up my student finance. What can I do now to pay for the course. I’m trying to do a secondary or further education PGCE. Would i get a bursary or not ????

Also what happens if I get rejected in all of my pgce applications??? Is that it?

Hard bit is persuading my parents that I want to now do a PGCE, It's all their fault, because i'm an introvert and they believed me working in Mental health would be the answer to my personal issues. Well after wasting 7 months on a psychology conversion masters cours, i'm ready to persuade the world that a ****ed up autistic and alcoholic can actually become a teacher.

Any help?
(edited 3 years ago)
:zomg:I would not drop out. Just try to get good grades
would you recommend a masters course?
Original post by fooooooooood
:zomg:I would not drop out. Just try to get good grades

It's a lost case now. Best outcome is me trying to get a Postgraduate certficate. I ****ed it up because i had no interest in doing the subject in the first place.
Original post by L0aura120697

In the UK, i view masters course as a 'waste of time'. I would suggest a masters course if for example, an employer asks for more training or if you are trying to get to a particular field that requires a Masters.

I literally was not prepared for a masters. Covid ****ed up my life. Going deep into my personal life - me having no friends, having no girlfriend in my entire life and playing xbox and drinking all day in my room didn't impress my parents. I applied for a masters because it was unlikely at the time, i was never going to be employed (i was wrong, i work part time in a further education college). I applied to a random university and got an offer the next day without any subject knowledge.

I blame my family for this but i have always wanted to be a Teacher, that's why i'm going to fight for a PGCE and possibly that will help my **** life
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by L0aura120697

If it's relevant to what you want to do and you're willing to put the hard work in, then absolutely. I've got a postgraduate diploma and an MSc and although doing a masters wasn't the right choice for the OP, it was for me. It all depends on your personal circumstances and what you want to achieve.
sigh, nobody could answer this question :frown:
Original post by Quiet Benin

What exactly was your question? What to do if you get rejected from a PGCE?
Life changes, things happen, no point regretting something if there's no point in you passing.

PGCE Secondary advice (hello from a fellow secondary teacher): depends on the subject you want to do regarding bursaries. You will be able to access a full tuition fee loan however which will get grouped into the 9% repayments from your UG loan (if you claimed these at the time). Maintenance loan is available but very minimal - I certainly couldn't live on it and used it for my petrol to get to placements, books and some new work clothes (enough to have something new for 9 days before rotating).

If you apply to PGCE courses and don't get invited to interview, wait until next year. In the mean time you could pick up some experience elsewhere/increase your current part-time hours and save up. If you get to an interview, you'll need to pass a range of tests (numeracy, literacy, analysis and critique, interview, some unis ask for a mock lesson too).

If you really want to be a teacher, don't get onto the PGCE and don't want to wait until the year after you can go through the School Direct route.
Original post by Anonymous
Life changes, things happen, no point regretting something if there's no point in you passing.

PGCE Secondary advice (hello from a fellow secondary teacher): depends on the subject you want to do regarding bursaries. You will be able to access a full tuition fee loan however which will get grouped into the 9% repayments from your UG loan (if you claimed these at the time). Maintenance loan is available but very minimal - I certainly couldn't live on it and used it for my petrol to get to placements, books and some new work clothes (enough to have something new for 9 days before rotating).

If you apply to PGCE courses and don't get invited to interview, wait until next year. In the mean time you could pick up some experience elsewhere/increase your current part-time hours and save up. If you get to an interview, you'll need to pass a range of tests (numeracy, literacy, analysis and critique, interview, some unis ask for a mock lesson too).

If you really want to be a teacher, don't get onto the PGCE and don't want to wait until the year after you can go through the School Direct route.

I just want to add to this - take it from someone who knows it - work on your mental health first before going into something all-encompassing and stressful like a PGCE/teaching. I didn't and it made my mental health much worse. Three years into teaching I'm only just getting to a point where my mental health isn't rock bottom. I've even considered leaving teaching recently because I find it difficult to cope. I'm also concerned you're trying to prolong the amount of time before going into a full-time job (what was your UG grad in? Could you fetch something in this field to gain some experience first?)

Don't brush the alcoholism under the rug - if it's out of control to the point you couldn't do what you needed (not necessarily wanted) to do for your Masters, why would a PGCE be any different? Don't blame other people for that.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What exactly was your question? What to do if you get rejected from a PGCE?

What funding can you get if you have already used up all your student finance? Do I have to use my own money to pay for the pgce course or is there any help for costs
What funding can you get if you have already used up all your student finance? Do I have to use my own money to pay for the pgce course or is there any help for costs

This page might be useful to you: https://www.postgrad.com/subjects/teaching_education/pgce_funding/

Does the school direct have pgce?
Does the school direct have pgce?

No but you get QTS exactly the same as a PGCE. Why are you so keen on the PGCE, because of loans?

I'm sure certain subjects can be eligible for loans through School Direct but admittedly I don't know how it works.
No but you get QTS exactly the same as a PGCE. Why are you so keen on the PGCE, because of loans?

I'm sure certain subjects can be eligible for loans through School Direct but admittedly I don't know how it works.

Because i want to teach in further education after secondary and i also don't feel like staying in this country so i want to use the PGCE for abroad

You are clearly motivated but said that you are an introvert - do you think the leadership, assertiveness and public speaking aspects of teaching suit your personality?

Which countries do you think you may like to teach in and what subject? Have you checked Visa requirements and whether your intended qualification is recognised?

You said that you currently work in a college and you aspire to teach in FE. I currently work in a college in Scotland and a number of support staff have cross trained into Lecturing positions as part of their professional development. They've been funded on a part time FE education qualification and given classes to teach to give them practice, alongside their current day job.

Any scope for you to do this at your college?
You are clearly motivated but said that you are an introvert - do you think the leadership, assertiveness and public speaking aspects of teaching suit your personality?

Which countries do you think you may like to teach in and what subject? Have you checked Visa requirements and whether your intended qualification is recognised?

You said that you currently work in a college and you aspire to teach in FE. I currently work in a college in Scotland and a number of support staff have cross trained into Lecturing positions as part of their professional development. They've been funded on a part time FE education qualification and given classes to teach to give them practice, alongside their current day job.

Any scope for you to do this at your college?

As an introvert, i know i will struggle but i have an unorthodox style of public speaking which works. I was a PGL instructor and camp leader and did an ok job with it. I just have bad social skills working with colleagues. I use alcohol to calm my social awkwardness

I'm thinking of going back to my home country Nigeria or America or a tolerate european country that has no racism. I don't have friends here. It embarrassing to be in your late 20s with no friends and never having a gf, i want to leave the UK and probably marry and have friends. PGCE is recognised in Nigerian international schools but i don't know about America.

I don't think my college is in a position for that. There is no progression, 'i'm a hourly paid learning support assistant' and i remember my manager in the interview telling me she is rather interested me in doing special needs and autism training rather than let her staff get into lecturing positions.

The PGCE will be hell but i'm ready for it. I have always wanted to be teacher since i was 15.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending