The Student Room Group

Edinburgh or Bristol

Hiya, I have offers from both Edinburgh and Bristol for Classics and am unsure which one to choose.
The two main factors I'm weighing up are accommodation and course difficulty. I'd prefer a less rigorous course and whilst I've heard the accommodation in Bristol is badly spaced, I've heard that Edinburgh has bad quality accom- rats and broken heating etc (I want to do self-catered).
Any help would be really appreciated, thanks sm :smile:
No idea about accommodation.

What do you mean by "less rigorous course"?
Original post by boboba
Hiya, I have offers from both Edinburgh and Bristol for Classics and am unsure which one to choose.
The two main factors I'm weighing up are accommodation and course difficulty. I'd prefer a less rigorous course and whilst I've heard the accommodation in Bristol is badly spaced, I've heard that Edinburgh has bad quality accom- rats and broken heating etc (I want to do self-catered).
Any help would be really appreciated, thanks sm :smile:

First of all congratulations on your offers.

I don’t know about Bristol but there is a wide variety of accommodation at Edinburgh some more modern than others. Of course things might break but in general things are mended quickly and you would not be left with no heating. I am not sure who told you about rats but they are not a problem however there is often a problem with mice

In general the more you pay the better the facilities so If you do your research you will find accommodation to suit you. There are also a lot of private halls which are very expensive but will be more modern

with regard to how difficult it will be, without knowing you and your abilities it is impossible to say. But given you got an offer I think you would be more than capable.

at Edinburgh the first two years are pre honours which gives you more time to get use to University level working
if I were you I would look at the modules on each course and see which interests you most, as the more engaged you are in what you are studying the less stressful it will be

good luck
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
No idea about accommodation.

What do you mean by "less rigorous course"?

I might be completely wrong but I'm assuming that universities have at least slightly different expectations of that amount of work one should put in, and I'd rather pick the course that requires less work.
Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Timetogetagrip
First of all congratulations on your offers.

I don’t know about Bristol but there is a wide variety of accommodation at Edinburgh some more modern than others. Of course things might break but in general things are mended quickly and you would not be left with no heating. I am not sure who told you about rats but they are not a problem however there is often a problem with mice

In general the more you pay the better the facilities so If you do your research you will find accommodation to suit you. There are also a lot of private halls which are very expensive but will be more modern

with regard to how difficult it will be, without knowing you and your abilities it is impossible to say. But given you got an offer I think you would be more than capable.

at Edinburgh the first two years are pre honours which gives you more time to get use to University level working
if I were you I would look at the modules on each course and see which interests you most, as the more engaged you are in what you are studying the less stressful it will be

good luck

Thanks!
Ah sorry, English isn't my first language so I got mice and rats confused. Do the staff help with the mice? I am quite scared of the idea haha.
I looked over both courses before applying and I like them both a lot. Would you say that the pre-honours years are more relaxed?
Thanks sm
Original post by boboba
Thanks!
Ah sorry, English isn't my first language so I got mice and rats confused. Do the staff help with the mice? I am quite scared of the idea haha.
I looked over both courses before applying and I like them both a lot. Would you say that the pre-honours years are more relaxed?
Thanks sm

Your English is excellent. When I say there is a mice problem there is an occasional mouse They’re not over run or at least not in any place I’ve been to. Edinburgh is a very old city and it was once said that every flat has mice ha ha.I really wouldn’t worry about it they’re not very scary at all.
I’ve not had any contact with the classics department but yes I would say the first two years are a bit more relaxed. They don’t count towards your overall grade. I don’t know what the contact hours are like for your department but it will be very manageable and university is much more about working on your own rather than lots and lots of classes.

I’m sure Edinburgh in Bristol but will be quite similar in terms of the amount of work you have to do. If I were you I just pick the one that you felt was a better fit for you. Edinburgh is a great city to live in lots to do lots of culture and the University has an enormous number of societies so lots to do when you’re not working. I’m sure Bristol is great as well
Good luck with whatever you decide
Reply 6
Original post by Timetogetagrip
Your English is excellent. When I say there is a mice problem there is an occasional mouse They’re not over run or at least not in any place I’ve been to. Edinburgh is a very old city and it was once said that every flat has mice ha ha.I really wouldn’t worry about it they’re not very scary at all.
I’ve not had any contact with the classics department but yes I would say the first two years are a bit more relaxed. They don’t count towards your overall grade. I don’t know what the contact hours are like for your department but it will be very manageable and university is much more about working on your own rather than lots and lots of classes.

I’m sure Edinburgh in Bristol but will be quite similar in terms of the amount of work you have to do. If I were you I just pick the one that you felt was a better fit for you. Edinburgh is a great city to live in lots to do lots of culture and the University has an enormous number of societies so lots to do when you’re not working. I’m sure Bristol is great as well
Good luck with whatever you decide

Thank you, I've studied it for quite a while, I just get some vocab mixed up.
Ah okay, I think I am not so worried about them now, maybe I will have to eat less cheese haha
I had forgot about the fact you can study other subjects in the beginning, so I am pretty convinced I will go for Edinburgh.
Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending