The Student Room Group

Loneliness at University

hi all. i was wondering whether anyone can give me advice about feeling isolated at university. i’m a sociable person but i haven’t been at university since christmas due to covid/family reasons. before christmas, i made little to no friends as my accommodation was extremely isolated and my flat mates were never there. i have began to dread going back to uni for second year. is anyone in the same position, or has anyone been in this position and can offer any advice? thank you
Original post by Anonymous
hi all. i was wondering whether anyone can give me advice about feeling isolated at university. i’m a sociable person but i haven’t been at university since christmas due to covid/family reasons. before christmas, i made little to no friends as my accommodation was extremely isolated and my flat mates were never there. i have began to dread going back to uni for second year. is anyone in the same position, or has anyone been in this position and can offer any advice? thank you

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you feel that way. It's been a difficult year, hasn't it. Hopefully from the start of your second year, things will be a lot better. It's always a lucky dip when being put in accommodation - I myself did not feel that close with my flatmates, whereas some of my friends became best friends with theirs. However, I did manage to make really good friends with my course peers. I actually went back into accommodation in my second year to see if i got luckier, as all my friends moved in with their first-year flatmates.

It's to be expected that you feel isolated if you have not been in for a few months, so don't worry, this is completely normal. Remember that most people who join university know 0 people to begin with, and second-year for a lot of current first-years will be almost starting over again when they re-join (thanks to the pandemic). Try to remember that a lot of people will be in the same boat as you, so i'm sure you'll be in a much better place a few months into your next academic year.

One piece of advice (when you can re-join) I would give you is to make an effort with your friends-friends. Even if you feel like a tag-along, it's a great way to meet people that you know are friends of people you always get on with. I know this is difficult at the moment, but things should be better soon.

Best of luck,
James
Student Rep

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
Reply 2

Hey, If it makes you feel any better I’m literally in the same position and I knw a lot of other people are too. A majority of people went home and haven’t returned this year to uni. Your not alone and I also have anxiety about going back, but at least your more prepared for it. The first year was taken away from us but that doesn’t mean you won’t make friends next year either, join societies, clubs and move back into halls and meet new people. There are so many people at uni you will 100% find people you get on with!!:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by SSOOMMEN
Hey, If it makes you feel any better I’m literally in the same position and I knw a lot of other people are too. A majority of people went home and haven’t returned this year to uni. Your not alone and I also have anxiety about going back, but at least your more prepared for it. The first year was taken away from us but that doesn’t mean you won’t make friends next year either, join societies, clubs and move back into halls and meet new people. There are so many people at uni you will 100% find people you get on with!!:smile:

thank you! it means a lot you took the time to respond. i hope next year is better for you too :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Derby
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you feel that way. It's been a difficult year, hasn't it. Hopefully from the start of your second year, things will be a lot better. It's always a lucky dip when being put in accommodation - I myself did not feel that close with my flatmates, whereas some of my friends became best friends with theirs. However, I did manage to make really good friends with my course peers. I actually went back into accommodation in my second year to see if i got luckier, as all my friends moved in with their first-year flatmates.

It's to be expected that you feel isolated if you have not been in for a few months, so don't worry, this is completely normal. Remember that most people who join university know 0 people to begin with, and second-year for a lot of current first-years will be almost starting over again when they re-join (thanks to the pandemic). Try to remember that a lot of people will be in the same boat as you, so i'm sure you'll be in a much better place a few months into your next academic year.

One piece of advice (when you can re-join) I would give you is to make an effort with your friends-friends. Even if you feel like a tag-along, it's a great way to meet people that you know are friends of people you always get on with. I know this is difficult at the moment, but things should be better soon.

Best of luck,
James
Student Rep

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

thanks james, i really appreciate it. :smile:

Hiya,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like this :frown:

James from @University of Derby has made some great points though, so try not to worry!

I would also suggest joining any social media groups you can find for your accommodation, year group, course etc. - they're a great way to connect with people you might like to meet when you leave home again.

Good luck :smile:

Sophie - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending