The Student Room Group

Will the PA profession be over saturated after 2020?

hello, i’m currently in year 12 and id like to be a Physician Associate in the UK. i understand the government would like to see at least 1000 PA’s working after 2020, but i’m just wondering if that goal is reached, would the Physician Associate job become over saturated? i’m just concerned because Pharmacy has become over saturated and i’m not graduating uni (planning on doing Physician associate studies MPAS in reading) until 2026. i’m sorry if this question is silly but please educate me on the circumstances:smile:

if it is likely to become over saturated i’ll consider pursuing a career in cardiac physiology:smile:!
What do you mean saturated? Do you mean the course will be oversubscribed? It already is that. But the job market? No.

It sounds like you’re borrowing a term often applied to the legal job market. There, there are far too many qualified people for jobs but that’s not the case in the health professions because the number of people trained is usually below the number of professionals actually required. Anyone can train as a lawyer and there is no cap on the number of people who can train despite the fact that there are only a finite number of jobs available but the same isn’t the case with nurses, AHPs or PAs because it takes so long and so much money to train them and the NHS still shoulders the bulk of the cost. Basically, if you train as a PA there will be a job waiting for you at the end of it.
And pharmacy isn’t over saturated. A lot of courses under-recruit. The job has become a bit grim, according to a number of pharmacists who speak on here but there’s never a shortage of pharmacy jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest