The Student Room Group

Studying on a year abroad

I have a really random question for anyone who has done a year abroad. Whether thats for studying or working or whatever.

Can you give me a rough outline and how many clothes you brought?
5 jeans
10 t shirts
4 dresses
5 pairs of shoes etc. Whatever whatever

Sounds silly but I just wanna know what to bring when my year rolls around and I’m curious!
Original post by nenka222
I have a really random question for anyone who has done a year abroad. Whether thats for studying or working or whatever.

Can you give me a rough outline and how many clothes you brought?
5 jeans
10 t shirts
4 dresses
5 pairs of shoes etc. Whatever whatever

Sounds silly but I just wanna know what to bring when my year rolls around and I’m curious!

I had one big suitcase and a backpack, it was definitely hard packing for a full year considering I went somewhere where it's very cold in the winter and warm in the summer. If you're going somewhere more moderate you'll need less stuff! What I brought was more or less:
-3 pairs of shoes, one for hiking, one for daily wear, and one pair of sandals
-3 of my favorite dresses which I wore in the summer as well as with tights and sweaters in the winter
-a fleece, a windbreaker, and a winter coat
-maybe 8 tops? Mostly basic ones in solid colours
-a couple pairs of jeans, a pair of leggings, and one skirt and one pair of loose casual trousers

I have quite a big wardrobe so it was hard to separate myself from it but in the end it was worth it to not be bogged down. I really enjoyed finding new clothes and shopping in a new country too and got some cool things I wouldn't have found at home so remember you can always get stuff when you're there! Enjoy your year abroad :^)

Quick Reply

Latest