The Student Room Group

Keele, Cumbria or Suffolk for Radiography / healthcare degree?

So i'm looking to study Radiography in September and struggling to choose between Keele, Cumbria and Suffolk, does anyone have any experience / thoughts on these unis?

I know Keele is rated the highest overall, but Cumbria and Suffolk have also felt like strong contenders too, sending me stuff in the mail, also coming across as very friendly and having good open days. Keele and Suffolk also seem to have the advantage of getting a longer summer which would be nice too. Suffolk have the option of working abroad for three months which really appeals and it seems like a nice area to live, but it's much further down in the league tables, doesn't have much in the way of student societies, and the rent would be higher too in that area.

It's so difficult to decide, on the one hand Keele have a great rep for delivering the course and plenty to do activities wise, but moving somewhere like Ipswich or Cumbria would be nice too, being next to the lake district or coast, just the question of how their courses and experience compare up.
For Allied Health courses like Radiography, it really does not matter which Uni you go to - the NHS will not care where you went and neither will your future patients. All degrees will be accredited to the same standard so its really up to you to decide which Uni you will feel more comfortable at.

Have a look at the Campus Tour films on YouTube to get an idea of what each one looks like, how big it is, and what it 'feels' like.
Just remember that both Suffolk and Cumbria are very small Unis - so you wont get the same 'University student experience' as somewhere bigger like Keele.
Original post by Kogomogo
So i'm looking to study Radiography in September and struggling to choose between Keele, Cumbria and Suffolk, does anyone have any experience / thoughts on these unis?

I know Keele is rated the highest overall, but Cumbria and Suffolk have also felt like strong contenders too, sending me stuff in the mail, also coming across as very friendly and having good open days. Keele and Suffolk also seem to have the advantage of getting a longer summer which would be nice too. Suffolk have the option of working abroad for three months which really appeals and it seems like a nice area to live, but it's much further down in the league tables, doesn't have much in the way of student societies, and the rent would be higher too in that area.

It's so difficult to decide, on the one hand Keele have a great rep for delivering the course and plenty to do activities wise, but moving somewhere like Ipswich or Cumbria would be nice too, being next to the lake district or coast, just the question of how their courses and experience compare up.

Hi @Kogomogo! I am so glad to see that you are considering Keele as one of your options! Just wanted to jump on here to let you that if you would like to know anything about Keele, that might help you in making your decision, please let me know on here and I would be more than happy to help out! :smile:
Hi there,

It is great to hear that you are keeping your options open and also considering Suffolk as one of your choices.

If you would like to know more about the University of Suffolk then please feel free to contact us. Students joining us in 2022 will be among the first to have access to a brand-new clinical simulation facilities and a working radiography imaging suite.

My advice would be to attend a virtual/physical Open Day at Keele, Cumbria and Suffolk to get a feel for the facilities/courses.

Good luck with your decision!

Best wishes,
Brandon
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
For Allied Health courses like Radiography, it really does not matter which Uni you go to - the NHS will not care where you went and neither will your future patients. All degrees will be accredited to the same standard so its really up to you to decide which Uni you will feel more comfortable at.

Have a look at the Campus Tour films on YouTube to get an idea of what each one looks like, how big it is, and what it 'feels' like.
Just remember that both Suffolk and Cumbria are very small Unis - so you wont get the same 'University student experience' as somewhere bigger like Keele.

Original post by Keele Student Ambassador1
Hi @Kogomogo! I am so glad to see that you are considering Keele as one of your options! Just wanted to jump on here to let you that if you would like to know anything about Keele, that might help you in making your decision, please let me know on here and I would be more than happy to help out! :smile:

Thanks! I've done so many open days and tours and chats to students that I feel I have a lot of information already. All my choices look so good in their own ways, each having their own strengths and charms so it's a really hard choice. I am happy though to be in such a position even if it's a tough call.

@Keele Student Ambassador1 Only thing I can think to ask right now is do you know if it's possible to balance taking the language modules alongside the radiography course with needing to work around placements?

@University of Suffolk Yes I saw about the new suite and it's really good to hear you'll be having one! Do you know what other stuff will be in the new building, I've read about some new sports and health services?
Original post by Kogomogo
Thanks! I've done so many open days and tours and chats to students that I feel I have a lot of information already. All my choices look so good in their own ways, each having their own strengths and charms so it's a really hard choice. I am happy though to be in such a position even if it's a tough call.

@Keele Student Ambassador1 Only thing I can think to ask right now is do you know if it's possible to balance taking the language modules alongside the radiography course with needing to work around placements?

@University of Suffolk Yes I saw about the new suite and it's really good to hear you'll be having one! Do you know what other stuff will be in the new building, I've read about some new sports and health services?

Hi again @Kogomogo. I think it is going to be difficult for me to tell you if it will be possible to fit it in or not as it depends on the specific language course, how different people learn and how much work you will have to put into your radiography modules. However, our web pages have information on the amount of study hours recommended for each module. This might give you an idea of whether it will be manageable or not.

The web page for diagnostic radiography can be accessed through this link- https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/radiographydiagnosticimaging/#year-one-modules
If you scroll down to the course content section and click on the links for the modules for each year, you can find more information about each module, including the recommended hours of study.

The web page for the language courses can be accessed through this link-https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/languagecentre/modernlanguages/
If you click on the language you would like to learn, you can read a bit more about it.

I really hope this helps. If you have any other questions regarding this or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask me. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest