The Student Room Group

‼️Driving test - HELP‼️

I originally booked my test for November last year and was consistently pushed back until may! I took my test last week and failed because my examiner was extremely unfair and failed me for basically nothing! I literally cannot book a new test. Every single time one becomes available it’s gone a second later. How on earth am I meant to book a new one? Is anyone else having this same problem? Is it because of these apps that people are paying for so bots are snapping up all the tests? Please let me know what you are doing to get a test if you’re in the same position as me!
Yes it most probably is.!!!!!
They are really good if you want another test quickly, my own experience was I couldn’t get a test for another 3 months After I failed my 1st one and this was pre Covid !! it’s always really booked up.
I joined cancellations 4 all and within 2days got an earlier test - 3 weeks after my failed one.

Luckily I passed 2nd time - my view is it’s worth the extra money (at the time it was £18)
But compared to the amount of driving lessons I would have had to fork out for it was worth it.

Go for the one that automatically books for u - you give them days times when available and they will book it for u
Good Luck
Reply 2
Original post by Rose_Greenwood
I originally booked my test for November last year and was consistently pushed back until may! I took my test last week and failed because my examiner was extremely unfair and failed me for basically nothing! I literally cannot book a new test. Every single time one becomes available it’s gone a second later. How on earth am I meant to book a new one? Is anyone else having this same problem? Is it because of these apps that people are paying for so bots are snapping up all the tests? Please let me know what you are doing to get a test if you’re in the same position as me!

Sorry Rose, but there is no such thing as failing a test for 'basically nothing', and all examiners strive to be as fair as possible. If you failed your test then you would have gotten at least one serious fault or habitual fault. This may be news to you but this means you are not test ready, as you have stated in your other post. If you were then you would have passed. Rebook the same way everyone else does, check online and wait.
Original post by Muddypaws1
Yes it most probably is.!!!!!
They are really good if you want another test quickly, my own experience was I couldn’t get a test for another 3 months After I failed my 1st one and this was pre Covid !! it’s always really booked up.
I joined cancellations 4 all and within 2days got an earlier test - 3 weeks after my failed one.

Luckily I passed 2nd time - my view is it’s worth the extra money (at the time it was £18)
But compared to the amount of driving lessons I would have had to fork out for it was worth it.

Go for the one that automatically books for u - you give them days times when available and they will book it for u
Good Luck

That sounds great I might have to do that!! Thank you!
Original post by TheDE
Sorry Rose, but there is no such thing as failing a test for 'basically nothing', and all examiners strive to be as fair as possible. If you failed your test then you would have gotten at least one serious fault or habitual fault. This may be news to you but this means you are not test ready, as you have stated in your other post. If you were then you would have passed. Rebook the same way everyone else does, check online and wait.

Lol okay. we both pressed the brake pedal at the same time. I was rolling forward, knew I needed to wait a bit longer so I pressed the brake and she thought I was moving off so slammed the brakes on which is an instant fail. she’s got a reputation for being really harsh and my instructor agrees :smile:
You do realise it’s very easy to fail? Doesn’t mean you’re incapable of driving or aren’t safe on the roads.
Lol okay. we both pressed the brake pedal at the same time. I was rolling forward, knew I needed to wait a bit longer so I pressed the brake and she thought I was moving off so slammed the brakes on which is an instant fail. she’s got a reputation for being really harsh and my instructor agrees :smile:
You do realise it’s very easy to fail? Doesn’t mean you’re incapable of driving or aren’t safe on the roads.

Also, nerves play a big part especially with the amount of pressure being put on people at the moment! People have been waiting for tests for over 6 months and the pressure is immense. Of course nerves and pressure is going to have an effect! Again, doesn’t mean you’re incapable of driving. I’d love for you to book me a test if it’s that easy hun💖💖
Reply 6

So you in fact got a dangerous fault not a serious one! Of course it's easy to fail when you aren't ready, and without knowing the context of the fault I couldn't possibly comment on the harshness of their marking. Historically instructors always say that examiners are harsh if they want to defer the blame from not having taught you properly onto the examiner. But we never dual brake someone unless there is imminent danger. If you're moving on the left whilst vehicles are passing that is dangerous, if you're rolling whilst pulled up that is serious, and the directive for us is we must dual brake you after a certain distance, if you're rolling towards a parked car or other stuff on the road that is also dangerous.

Needless to say, you are a learner driver... Don't go kidding yourself into thinking you're a perfect driver, nobody is and less than half of tests are passed the first time. What we really hope for is that people do something serious and learn from it. Do you think that deferring the blame onto other people is a good way to learn and become a safer driver. If you were the safe driver you think you are then you would have been in control of your vehicle and not rolled at all, let alone prompt the examiner to dual brake you.

So please, learn from the experience, don't blame your faults on everything around you like SO MANY people do! Read the test report, acknowledge your shortcomings and act on them so that next time you pass!! Examiners are the professionals at knowing how to pass the test, not the instructor, so it's worth taking in what they say.
Hi Rose, I understand completely.

After a year of weekly lessons (with a lockdown break) my first test was booked in October last year, and got cancelled because of bad weather. Then my rearranged dates got cancelled because of lockdowns etc.

Finally, I had my first test that I was able to take in May but because of how long the wait and build up was, I felt so much pressure and the nerves were worse than anything I ever felt in my life. I failed that test and have managed to get two more cancellations since but also failed those. The problem is, I do nothing that would be classed as as a major fault in my driving lessons - I have also had lessons with multiple instructors to test my ability and readiness for the test. All these instructors have said I am ready and I passed mock tests via three different instructors. But in my test, it's a different story.

I don't think the examiner is being to harsh, I know that I make these mistakes in my test but my leg shakes so bad and I am concentrating so hard on my breathing so not to have a panic attack that I loose focus on the road and make a really silly mistake that I wouldn't normally make. I have also driven around with a family member supervising in the car and not felt at all nervous in that situation - and I never need them to step in and help.

I have always been nervous about exams but the long build up of the driving test is unbearable. Especially as you know it could be months before you get another chance and I have recently moved to a remote area with no buses so I really need to drive for job prospects - or even just to do my weekly food shop haha. I know these things are just adding to the pressure and making my nerves even worse. I just have no idea what to do about it.

Its frustrating making the mistakes because of nerves, but the examiners aren't being harsh they just have a list of black and white reasons to pass or fail you. It's very much by the book. But I totally understand the frustration when you know it's something you wouldn't normally do.

Good luck with your next test!

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending