The Student Room Group

Help KCL or Sciences Po

hello everyone! I am kind of lost... I got into the dual law program at Kings College London with Assas, it is French law and English law so 2 years in London and two in paris. I also got into sciences po paris campus Reims which is one of the best schools in the world for political science and I really don't know what to do. I don't want to sound ungrateful I know a lot of people didn't get what they wanted... but I don't really know how to compare these amazing universities and I dont want to make the wrong decision... I am afraid of studying law because it is new to me, I've never really been exposed to it, which is why I would lean towards sciences po since it offers such an interesting program HOWEVER the opportunity at KCL/Assas is incredible and the student life is much more dynamic and diverse because I will be in two big cities. if anyone has any tips that would be really appreciated.

KCL :
- city and student life
- double major with France
- overall prestige
-might not like law :frown:

sciences po :
- interesting program
- specialized in North American culture
- 2nd best in the world for pol sciences
- very small town :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
i think the deciding factor here ought to be which course do you want to study

you seem to be very taken with sciences po (to study politics?) and good advice i think is if you don't really want to study law, study something else because you can enjoy it more
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
i think the deciding factor here ought to be which course do you want to study

you seem to be very taken with sciences po (to study politics?) and good advice i think is if you don't really want to study law, study something else because you can enjoy it more

my biggest concern is what I can do with a political science degree, law seems to open more doors and I am not saying I would hate it but I dont really know what to expect... if I do end up liking it, a law degree from kings and Assas would be much more interesting than a straight French law degree after sciences po.
Original post by dana.f!
my biggest concern is what I can do with a political science degree, law seems to open more doors and I am not saying I would hate it but I dont really know what to expect... if I do end up liking it, a law degree from kings and Assas would be much more interesting than a straight French law degree after sciences po.

having a law degree opens up the door of qualifying as a lawyer, but they are similarly good degrees. you won't see very many job descriptions that list law as a preferred degree - in that regard it's normally something like "stem/business/finance/economics etc preferred" or "we accept degrees in any discipline", and for that law is just a good degree but it really only specifically qualifies you for law jobs

if you're interested in law, being a lawyer, or further study in law, then maybe kcl is the answer, but i wouldn't rule out sciences po on account of the degree title

i also don't know what you do with a political science degree, but i studied phil/pol/econ (majored in economics) and my graduate job offer is as a management consultant, so i'd say your options would be reasonably open, especially if graduating sciences po
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
having a law degree opens up the door of qualifying as a lawyer, but they are similarly good degrees. you won't see very many job descriptions that list law as a preferred degree - in that regard it's normally something like "stem/business/finance/economics etc preferred" or "we accept degrees in any discipline", and for that law is just a good degree but it really only specifically qualifies you for law jobs

if you're interested in law, being a lawyer, or further study in law, then maybe kcl is the answer, but i wouldn't rule out sciences po on account of the degree title

i also don't know what you do with a political science degree, but i studied phil/pol/econ (majored in economics) and my graduate job offer is as a management consultant, so i'd say your options would be reasonably open, especially if graduating sciences po

thank you so much for your detailed answer! I am also worried about the student life in a small city like reims, London would obviously be more exciting but I also should not base my decision on that! so many factors are involved and I did not know I would be this confused.
Original post by dana.f!
thank you so much for your detailed answer! I am also worried about the student life in a small city like reims, London would obviously be more exciting but I also should not base my decision on that! so many factors are involved and I did not know I would be this confused.

there are very few students who truly complain about student life wherever they may be. london is big and lively, but its also expensive and busy; i doubt you'd feel bored or caged in reims, but then i've never visited a small french city
Original post by dana.f!

Being dual nationality with children studying in the U.K and France I would tend to go with the KCL /Assas option. Science Po is highly rated in France but the Uni experience just isn't the same. The social part of Uni is very much a secondary concept and sadly lacking. Assas is highly rated for Law in France,so doing half and half gives you the chance of living both systems. But at the end of the day what you are studying has to interest you, as that is the primary reason for going to Uni.
I can't really speak in terms of the subject itself because I know very little about political science or Law, but as for the location and uni experience:

I would first of all recommend visiting Reims and London if you can. You have to know that London is going to be very different from the tourist experience; reality is that living in London is expensive, it can be dirty, busy and sometimes lonely. But some people love that and really thrive in London. If you are very independent and don't have a problem with coping by yourself, having friends who live at different ends of the city, sometimes far away, then I would recommend. Reims on the other hand is likely to be a very closed environment. You will probably know most of the people there after a year or two, the clubs and bars will have the same students etc. Once again, you may like that (I do), but a lot of people don't, which is also fine!
Whatever you do, they are both incredible schools so there's no 'wrong' choice. But if you think about what type of environment you prefer, it might help
Reply 8
Thank you so much for all your answers! they have been really helpful, the science Po courses are very interesting and much more diverse but law is also a very interesting subject to study so I am still torn but leaning towards science po as it allows a broad range of subjects. It feels so weird to let go of a uni I was really happy to go to :frown: I still have some time to think it over though so if you have any more info that would be amazing! Thank you :smile::smile:
Reply 9
A bit off topic but I would love to go to SciencePo (Menton), could you talk about the application process a little and what to do as I am hoping to get in for the dual degree program intake of 2022 xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending