The Student Room Group

My friends are pressuring me into going on a date

My friends are pressuring me to go on a date with this guy and if anything I feel quite insulted. Because we are both gay they are trying to match us up and they aren't taking what I want into consideration.

I do go for personality and will sometimes go down a league or so if I like their personality but this guy is literally five leagues down, this is where you will think I am being shallow but I am so angry. He's 4-5 stone heavier than me (he's over weight) his teeth are yellow (obviously hasn't taken care of them) and his hair is always in need of a comb, and his fashion sense is geeky (not my type)

At first I was polite and explained that he's not my type but they wouldn't take no for an answer they kept on banging on about what a lovely guy he is and that I should go on a date with him. In the end I got so mad and said he looks like he's got something wrong with him and apparently I am out of order for saying this.

I really feel like my friends don't care about me and they are only interested in finding him a partner, they won't stop pressuring me. Is it time to find new friends? I've even explained that we also will have nothing in common to which they said how would you know that, I didn't go on to say because he's over weight and I am into sports but I felt like saying it.

What should I do? they are literally pressuring me to go on a date with him and although I am no model I feel pretty insulted that they think we would be a good match which has knocked my confidence a little.
Reply 1
Well they definitely should not be pressuring you into doing something you don't want to do... You have to ask yourself if real friends would do that to you. friends should be adding to your happiness, not making you unhappy!! I hate the stigma that just because someone is gay, they should then automatically like all gay people when clearly that is not the case. You should first try and help them understand this and let them know your true feelings while remaining level headed and not getting emotional. That guy isn't for you and that's that.
Friendships come and go, if they aren't going to understand your feelings then it might be time to move on and find people that will accept you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending