The Student Room Group

laptop freezing

my laptop keeps randomly freezing - it's been like this for a few months by now... how can I fix this?
Original post by agnos987
my laptop keeps randomly freezing - it's been like this for a few months by now... how can I fix this?

Hi,

Is your laptop a Windows PC because if so, do you have an app called "Defraggler"? If not, I would strongly recommend you download and analyse your hard drive for fragmentation - when it happened to me years ago I installed Defraggler and it said I had around 47% fragmentation but after I defragmented it the lagging stopped. However, knowing your hard drive is key with Drefraggler - if you have a HDD you defragment, but if you have a SSD you optimise (doing a defragmentation on a SSD makes it worse).

The freezing may also be caused by a virus, which you can usually infer through task manager revealing your CPU being used up by over 80% despite not actually doing anything.

Or more simply, your laptop is: clogged with dust and needs a good clean or is simply on its way out (if you have had it for 5+ years).

Hope this helps, and if anyone has more experience with computers do be sure to correct anything I've said as this is just what I have personally encountered / learn via basic research.
Reply 2
Original post by TSB1712
Hi,

Is your laptop a Windows PC because if so, do you have an app called "Defraggler"? If not, I would strongly recommend you download and analyse your hard drive for fragmentation - when it happened to me years ago I installed Defraggler and it said I had around 47% fragmentation but after I defragmented it the lagging stopped. However, knowing your hard drive is key with Drefraggler - if you have a HDD you defragment, but if you have a SSD you optimise (doing a defragmentation on a SSD makes it worse).

The freezing may also be caused by a virus, which you can usually infer through task manager revealing your CPU being used up by over 80% despite not actually doing anything.

Or more simply, your laptop is: clogged with dust and needs a good clean or is simply on its way out (if you have had it for 5+ years).

Hope this helps, and if anyone has more experience with computers do be sure to correct anything I've said as this is just what I have personally encountered / learn via basic research.

thank you very much for your response!!!
When it freezes does the screen stay on?

Or does the laptop stop doing what it was AND switch itself off?

Any error messages that come up?

Is it just certain applications that freeze? Whilst you can run others OK?

Are you running Windows on it?
If you open file explorer and right click on the c: drive and left click properties, what's it showing for disk space used and free?

Does your laptop have built in diagnostics (you have to interupt the power on sequence and select the diagnostic option) If so what happens when run these?

This is all the sort of thing that would be easy to diagnose and probably cheap and easy to fix by a competent technician. But is tricky to resolve via user description on a forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending