The Student Room Group

Meeting new People

I've relocated to an area for a new job. Won't meet my team until end of August. A housemate, with who I've had only a couple of conversations, has invited me out to a social with the people she works with. They all know each other but don't know me. I haven't really spoken much to her (my housemate) but I think she can see I'm new to the location, don't know anyone, and she empathizes with that as she herself was in the same shoes a few years back.

I just feel it's awkward rocking up not knowing anyone and them all-knowing each other. I don't really know my housemate either. Also, the fact I don't work there too makes me feel a bit like an outsider even more.

Yet part of me wants to do this, I know going outside your comfort zone and being the one to initiate is the way to meet new people and make friends. I did it once in America with a girl and it led to a fruitful adventure (note I have no intention of dating, just making friends in this scenario, but the point stands that wouldn't have come about had I not taken the initiative).

Can anyone offer me some confidence!! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending