The Student Room Group

Learning to drive

I started my first lesson on the 10th August with the shortest notice instructor I could find due to needing to pass for work, but after my first lesson I'm really on the fence about what to do as other instructors (I messaged quite a lot) are booked up mostly. I paid £60 for a two hour lesson and noticed it was cut short 20 minutes early (about the time it takes to drive me home)and also when I got in the car did paperwork etc and remember asking does the lesson start when I get in the car which she replied "Yes"- I live about 6 miles away from where my test will take place at the end of the year and she lives around that area so has to travel to get me, but is this normal? It's my fault to not say anything but when you're nervous driving first time etc it can cloud all that out! I'm hoping somebody has some advice as my next lesson will be in two days! She seems nice enough but if I do the math that's a 2 hour lesson cut down to 1 hour 20-30 mins.

EDIT- Forgot to mention I also have to pay upfront before anything.

Thanks in advance.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JosephB1374
I started my first lesson on the 10th August with the shortest notice instructor I could find due to needing to pass for work, but after my first lesson I'm really on the fence about what to do as other instructors (I messaged quite a lot) are booked up mostly. I paid £60 for a two hour lesson and noticed it was cut short 20 minutes early (about the time it takes to drive me home)and also when I got in the car did paperwork etc and remember asking does the lesson start when I get in the car which she replied "Yes"- I live about 6 miles away from where my test will take place at the end of the year and she lives around that area so has to travel to get me, but is this normal? It's my fault to not say anything but when you're nervous driving first time etc it can cloud all that out! I'm hoping somebody has some advice as my next lesson will be in two days! She seems nice enough but if I do the math that's a 2 hour lesson cut down to 1 hour 20-30 mins.

EDIT- Forgot to mention I also have to pay upfront before anything.

Thanks in advance.

The same thing happened to me, but by the 3rd/4th lesson she got me to drive straight from my house, and back home at the end... so it’s no longer like wasted time, it’s just more practice, to and from my house. And the cost of my lessons are about the same, it seems like most instructors are around £30 an hour these days :smile:
You can ask her to keep giving you the lesson until the end of your slot, but you will need to walk home!

Otherwise, your 2hrs includes time to drop you home. It wont be many lessons and you should be driving home yourself.
Anyway if you need to pass quickly for work. You can learn in an automatic car probably pass with half the lessons.
Reply 4
Original post by ..M..
The same thing happened to me, but by the 3rd/4th lesson she got me to drive straight from my house, and back home at the end... so it’s no longer like wasted time, it’s just more practice, to and from my house. And the cost of my lessons are about the same, it seems like most instructors are around £30 an hour these days :smile:

Thanks for the comment! Did you ever say anything or think that was acceptable, like how much time do you lose taking into account her picking you up and then taking you back? With me I was the last lesson so cutting it short at the end felt off for me as it can't be down to rushing to her next lesson! With a 2 hour lesson been £60 I never even considered i wouldn't get the full 2 hours.
Reply 5
Original post by Treehouse8
Anyway if you need to pass quickly for work. You can learn in an automatic car probably pass with half the lessons.

Honestly I wouldn't want to because manual you can drive with both and I'm already in motion you see and paid for a manual test.
Reply 6
Original post by BlackLab
You can ask her to keep giving you the lesson until the end of your slot, but you will need to walk home!

Otherwise, your 2hrs includes time to drop you home. It wont be many lessons and you should be driving home yourself.

She can do lessons 5 mins from my house as it's a big ish car park which I was thinking, but the only thing is it's not too long... Maybe 3rd gear max. I spoke to a friend and he said it was weird I wasn't in the car to begin with but i do understand if you're nearly a fresh learner, or zero experience.
Reply 7
Original post by JosephB1374
Honestly I wouldn't want to because manual you can drive with both and I'm already in motion you see and paid for a manual test.

There is no "manual test" it's the same test, the licence you get depends on the transmission in the vehicle you do the test in.
Reply 8
It’s important to have an instructor you like an trust. At the outset I would discuss how the lessons will work and check you’re happy with it. If there is anything that doesn’t work for you try someone else. Although lessons are expensive you do have to take in to account that instructors have overheads and have to earn a living too. Time travelling between appointments still has to be covered.
Reply 9
Original post by Zarek
It’s important to have an instructor you like an trust. At the outset I would discuss how the lessons will work and check you’re happy with it. If there is anything that doesn’t work for you try someone else. Although lessons are expensive you do have to take in to account that instructors have overheads and have to earn a living too. Time travelling between appointments still has to be covered.

Thanks for reply! Absolutely, i was 50/50 since most people i see said you should get what you pay for, but others mentioned its their time you're paying for! For now i was planning to discuss learning in my area to get more time on the road, so then after a few lessons i can drive to and from wherever, preferably 6 miles away where my test would take place.
You say you need to pass your test for work - are you aware of the MASSIVE backlog and waiting list there is for driving tests at the moment? Depending on where you live in the country you might be looking at a test in Spring/Summer 2022!
My test was cancelled in March until June. Unfortunately I didn't pass and there were no more tests available in 2021. Fortunately I've managed to get a cancellation (which are like gold dust) in November.

Good luck . . .
Original post by AlexSilver
You say you need to pass your test for work - are you aware of the MASSIVE backlog and waiting list there is for driving tests at the moment? Depending on where you live in the country you might be looking at a test in Spring/Summer 2022!
My test was cancelled in March until June. Unfortunately I didn't pass and there were no more tests available in 2021. Fortunately I've managed to get a cancellation (which are like gold dust) in November.

Good luck . . .

Hey Alex I'm glad to hear you got lucky with your 2nd test booking and sorry to hear it didn't go your way the first time!- I was lucky too and i got a cancellation and managed to get a test for December 2021. I was told to wait until September to start lessons the only reason i got these early are due to someone failing their theory so i took their slots until then, otherwise id have started lessons mid-September.

Best of luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending