The Student Room Group

UCAS confirmation (AS12) letter

UCAS has announced that from summer 2021 applicants will not receive an AS12 confirmation letter once their place has been confirmed. This troubles me since I need this letter to use as proof that I have an official place an university, so I can open an English bank account. Is there any other document that the bank will accept, for someone that has just arrived in England (for the first time) for studies. Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by TheSockThatWas
UCAS has announced that from summer 2021 applicants will not receive an AS12 confirmation letter once their place has been confirmed. This troubles me since I need this letter to use as proof that I have an official place an university, so I can open an English bank account. Is there any other document that the bank will accept, for someone that has just arrived in England (for the first time) for studies. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is a very good question.
I have asked the question on a UCAS Advisors forum and will post any info/answers.
You can use either your 4 digit or 16 digit UCAS code when applying to any banks for a student account. These UCAS codes enable banks to instantly check whether you have an unconditional offer at a university or not.
Original post by Becca019999
You can use either your 4 digit or 16 digit UCAS code when applying to any banks for a student account. These UCAS codes enable banks to instantly check whether you have an unconditional offer at a university or not.

Banks do not have have access to UCAS weblink.
Original post by McGinger
This is a very good question.
I have asked the question on a UCAS Advisors forum and will post any info/answers.

Thanks, for the help
You should be able to ask for a letter from the university itself as proof of study if UCAS cant provide one.
UCAS now email codes to verify your status with banks. This has been operating successfully for a few years now which is why UCAS scrapped the AS12 letters.

If your bank will not accept the codes emailed from UCAS then you'll need to get a letter from your university after you enrol (this has been standard for most non-UK students even when the AS12 letters were common)
Original post by McGinger
Banks do not have have access to UCAS weblink.

They don't need that access - UCAS have a setup using the unique codes they generate
https://www.ucas.com/finance/managing-money/quicker-way-get-student-account
Original post by PQ
UCAS now email codes to verify your status with banks. This has been operating successfully for a few years now which is why UCAS scrapped the AS12 letters.

If your bank will not accept the codes emailed from UCAS then you'll need to get a letter from your university after you enrol (this has been standard for most non-UK students even when the AS12 letters were common)

Alright! I do have these codes handy, many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending