The Student Room Group

How to help parents

I'm back home living with parents temporarily as a graduate. My dad has had long term issues with anger, depression, anxiety. He used to be abusive but since me and my siblings are well into adulthood he doesn't get away with that so easily anymore. But he is still nasty and angry, making my mum very unhappy. She really doesn't want a divorce or to be alone at this age and wants him to change. But she's sick of his daily rudeness and outbursts. He has MH problems and really needs support but is completely adamant not to seek any of it. He's been unemployed for years now but is a workaholic on unpaid things and staying busy with random things so he doesn't give his family any attention or care. He doesn't take support or advice from us either and i personally have given up on him but my mum needs some support.

They are both stuck so i feel like i need to intervene somehow and try one more time before i really ned to get on with my life as i've been caught up in their issues for a long time now. What to do?
If he's too stubborn to care or get help, how about mum? Having someone to talk to and let out the stress from him might help. Do they live together? If she doesn't it might be better for her.
Reply 2
Original post by *****deadness
If he's too stubborn to care or get help, how about mum? Having someone to talk to and let out the stress from him might help. Do they live together? If she doesn't it might be better for her.

She has gotten counseling before and doesn't want it anymore, i did suggest that to her tho.. but she has worked a lot on herself already. Now she's just sick of being bogged down by his repetitive negative behaviour
Actually they lived apart for a long time due to their jobs but recently moved back in together. My dad was struggling alone and 'wanted his family around' apparently...
Reply 3
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending