The Student Room Group

I didn’t know birkbeck is a uni for older people !!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ghjhg33333
Cause you wouldn’t get the uni life experience and also it’s an evening uni :/

I understand a lot of people look forward to the "uni life experience" and it sounds like it wouldn't be as enjoyable for you at Birkbeck, just remember there will be other younger students there with you. There will be societies, clubs, and lots more you can get involved with, just like with any other uni. Evening classes may not be what you were hoping for, but it can provide you with good opportunity for doing things during the mornings with friends you make at uni. You could even consider looking for part-time work to build your CV. Most importantly, you can still complete your studies there and get a good education. Surely that's more important than meeting "your man" at uni? There are plenty of opportunities to meet someone outside of university, and they are a lot less expensive.

Might be a good idea for you to look into your choices more carefully next time, and not just go off of your tutor's advice.

Just something to think about.
Original post by Sinnoh
I'd rather do something more constructive to help

I'm not sure the OP wants to be helped, tbh. They seem more interested in creating drama than thinking about the various options that have been suggested.
Original post by ghjhg33333
I don’t know mate just pray for me pls thx

From your responses, it sounds like the social life is your main concern and priority when it comes to university when it should actually be your education and future. What are you wanting to study, what are you wanting to do for work after you finish your studies, do you have any plans to work part-time during your studies or apply for internships? It doesn't need to be a completely solid plan you don't deviate from, but it doesn't seem like you've given it much thought.

From my perspective, you have three choices:
1. Go to Birkbeck and make the best of it. Yes, you may be compromising on some aspects of the university life you were hoping for, but that doesn't mean going to Birkbeck provides you with no opportunities. You can complete your studies, make friends and you have plenty of free time during the mornings and afternoons for independent study, part-time work, fun activities, and just taking care of yourself or relaxing.

2. Withdraw from Birkbeck and apply elsewhere through clearing. If going to Birkbeck isn't what you want, just withdraw and contact universities you are interested in to see if they still have places available in clearing. It is quite late into clearing but you never know, you might get lucky and find something you enjoy. If you are going to do this, put more effort into researching the universities and courses you are choosing so you make a better, well-informed decision than you have done in this case.

3. Take a gap year and apply for 2022 entry. If you can't find anywhere through clearing, take a year out and apply for universities and courses you are more interested in for September 2022 entry. Again, research the universities and courses you are applying for so you aren't in this situation again. Your tutor, friends, parents, pet cat--they'll all have their own opinions, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do your own research and form your own opinion and make your own choices about the next 3-4 years of your life. There's plenty to do in a gap year: part- or full-time work, volunteering, learning new skills/hobbies, and getting some life experience and skills outside of an academic environment.

I'd just like to mention two things to you. Firstly, being around a lot of older students shouldn't be seen as a negative. Spending time with older people can actually be very beneficial for your growth and development. It helps you develop better communication skills, patience, understanding, and you get to listen to people's life experiences. You may find that you are really inspired by these people, and enjoy studying alongside them. Secondly, I think getting some life experience outside of academics would be greatly beneficial to you whether you choose Birkbeck, clearing, or a gap year. As romanticised as student life is, the academic chapters of your life will eventually come to an end and you may not meet your life-long friends or partner at university. It doesn't happen for a lot of people. If you put too much emphasise on having a brilliant social life at university and expect a lot of major things--like meeting your partner--to happen exclusively at university, you'll slowly become dissatisfied with the social life you have later in life.

Hope this is of some help to you.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending