The Student Room Group

Feel awful about where I am in life and feel like I'm getting old

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angel247
Omg i feel you! we lived/ living the same life and everyone thinks I’m graduating next year oops

How do you plan to go about breaking the news, I'm asian so it's going to be a massive deal
Original post by Confusedgoose
If u don’t succeed in ur 20’s then try in ur 30’s, if you don’t in your 30’s then 40’s, then 50’s
You have ur whole life ahead of you. Being a year or 2 older than the other students doesn’t matter. Have fun and keep going

Thanks, I think I need to hear things like this
Original post by Anonymous
Economics

is that similar to computer science?
is that similar to computer science?

As in the subject?
As in the subject?

Yes
Yes

Not really, there's a computing module on my course but other than that no
Lol so do you want to talk about it or not 😅, you’re anon so I can’t see yours
I am currently having take a year out before going into 2nd year of uni next year due to bad health, this means I'm going to graduate at 24, I feel awful about this and like I've let everyone down, I also feel like I'm getting old and everyones moved on with their lives but I'm stuck in the education stage. I want to get a corporate grad job but I don't think they like to hire people at the age I will be. Everyone in my age group will be 2-3 years into their grad schemes and I'll just be starting. I haven't really enjoyed life up until now and thought I would enjoy my work life but it feels so far away now

Having medical issues is nothing to be ashamed of or you need to hide, it can happen to anyone. Taking time off will hopefully see you get well again, and maybe you will be able to use the time to either find a part time job and /or put some time into what you expect the next year of your course to be covering to give you a flying start next year, and help towards getting a First
A good class degree will more than compensate for the extra year, lots of guys will leave normally and not find jobs for months and months so I don't think it's a big deal at all. The aim should be get well, and be enthusiastic to get started on your course again...good luck.
Original post by angel247
Lol so do you want to talk about it or not 😅, you’re anon so I can’t see yours

Oh sorry didn't realise I was anon, I'll message you now
I am currently having take a year out before going into 2nd year of uni next year due to bad health, this means I'm going to graduate at 24, I feel awful about this and like I've let everyone down, I also feel like I'm getting old and everyones moved on with their lives but I'm stuck in the education stage. I want to get a corporate grad job but I don't think they like to hire people at the age I will be. Everyone in my age group will be 2-3 years into their grad schemes and I'll just be starting. I haven't really enjoyed life up until now and thought I would enjoy my work life but it feels so far away now

Honestly, you have NOTHING to worry about!
It isn’t a race, don’t get all tied in knots about your ‘peers’, because your peers are whoever you are with at that moment in time, the people you are studying with NOW, NOT a bunch of people you were at school with.

i’m 55 and about to FINALLY do the degree I dropped out of Uni just before my physiotherapy course started many moons ago!! (I had an existential crisis after one of my patients died on me in my hospital placement the Summer before😱 (No counselling back then, just ‘pull yourself together, she was dying anyway!’ 😱😱😱)
i took a ‘gap year’ but when it came to choising a new course or doing the one I original chose,
I remember feeling EXACTLY like you, and loathed the idea of being ‘a year older than my peers, and so I chickened out 😡
AND LIVED TO REALLY REGRET IT!!
Did ‘ok’ in a sales career, but it has never fed my soul.

3 years seemed SUCH a big deal at 20, but with the benefit of 35 years of hindsight, I now laugh at my twenty year old self’s perception of age and time!
i remember distinctly feeling that 3 years was FOREVER🤣
Trust me, it will FLY by!

It really doesn’t matter AT ALL when you enter the workplace, the jobs won’t suddenly vanish. (actually probably better right now to delay entering the workforce after the battering companies took these past 2 covid years! Better to wait til economy is once again thriving!! More jobs, better money!)

what matters is that you have got all the weapons you need in your CV to make it competitive.
And hopefully you get a degree that helps you land a job on the ladder of your dream career.
(and have fun in the process!)

To be completely honest I was really immature at 18-20, I was an irresponsible idiot! Prioritised partying, so probably would have flunked my course if I HAD gone straight after my A levels..

Don’t get to 40 and regret not going!
You’ll be overlooked for promotions/ losing job after job to people younger than you, with less experience and aptitude but with those letters after their mane!

Just put your big boy pants on and go for it!
you’ll be SO glad you did!!

(true friends should support you, by the way. Everyone else can fek off!)
I didn’t do my undergrad until I was 26. I subsequently went on to do a masters and a PGCE and now run my own business - it’s never too late. In fact, I recommend people wait before going to Uni because you are less concerned with the social side of things and much more focused on your studies. You’ll be fine!
Mate im 25 and starting a new field of studies that will last 3 years meaning ill be 28 when I finished my studies...

Did you know in life, knowledge is power, no matter how old you are, you should never be shunned in acquiring said knowledge.

University is open to a wide range of age bracket. I have met 30+ year olds that were cool asf when I was 19 during my early years of studies, nobody looked down on them, the complete opposite, most of the young teens/ young 20s adults looked up to them for guidance etc....

Matter of fact, you are better off doing studies at an older age and guarantee a good paying job because of it, then graduate uni at 21 and work at a *****y job you dont like because you were ashamed/scared of doing future studies...
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

No one gives a **** about your age, sure they might make remarks, but thats as far as it goes, no one is going to bully you for it.
(edited 2 years ago)
I’m 24 now, I graduated on time and have done a masters too, but I’m starting from scratch anyway with work. What I mean is finishing as early as possible isn’t a guarantee that everything is sunshine… I beat myself up too but I think your 20s are for figuring things out. Life is never a simple linear path. If things went super smooth and perfectly at this age you can bet uncertainty will arise at a later time. It is really okay to be taking your time now. We have decades to be working and earning a living… you’ll miss your 20s one day
Honestly, you have NOTHING to worry about!
It isn’t a race, don’t get all tied in knots about your ‘peers’, because your peers are whoever you are with at that moment in time, the people you are studying with NOW, NOT a bunch of people you were at school with.

i’m 55 and about to FINALLY do the degree I dropped out of Uni just before my physiotherapy course started many moons ago!! (I had an existential crisis after one of my patients died on me in my hospital placement the Summer before😱 (No counselling back then, just ‘pull yourself together, she was dying anyway!’ 😱😱😱)
i took a ‘gap year’ but when it came to choising a new course or doing the one I original chose,
I remember feeling EXACTLY like you, and loathed the idea of being ‘a year older than my peers, and so I chickened out 😡
AND LIVED TO REALLY REGRET IT!!
Did ‘ok’ in a sales career, but it has never fed my soul.

3 years seemed SUCH a big deal at 20, but with the benefit of 35 years of hindsight, I now laugh at my twenty year old self’s perception of age and time!
i remember distinctly feeling that 3 years was FOREVER🤣
Trust me, it will FLY by!

It really doesn’t matter AT ALL when you enter the workplace, the jobs won’t suddenly vanish. (actually probably better right now to delay entering the workforce after the battering companies took these past 2 covid years! Better to wait til economy is once again thriving!! More jobs, better money!)

what matters is that you have got all the weapons you need in your CV to make it competitive.
And hopefully you get a degree that helps you land a job on the ladder of your dream career.
(and have fun in the process!)

To be completely honest I was really immature at 18-20, I was an irresponsible idiot! Prioritised partying, so probably would have flunked my course if I HAD gone straight after my A levels..

Don’t get to 40 and regret not going!
You’ll be overlooked for promotions/ losing job after job to people younger than you, with less experience and aptitude but with those letters after their mane!

Just put your big boy pants on and go for it!
you’ll be SO glad you did!!

(true friends should support you, by the way. Everyone else can fek off!)

Thank you so much for your message it helps alot. My first gap year I can rationalise as I retook my A levels and got much better grades but the other 2 feel much more difficult to get over. I hope I can see it the way you do one day but right now I feel like I'm just getting on the race track and everyone else is close to the finish line. I realise I need to just get stuck in and hopefully after internships and work experience I will be in a better place.
Original post by AnonFromEu
Mate im 25 and starting a new field of studies that will last 3 years meaning ill be 28 when I finished my studies...

Did you know in life, knowledge is power, no matter how old you are, you should never be shunned in acquiring said knowledge.

University is open to a wide range of age bracket. I have met 30+ year olds that were cool asf when I was 19 during my early years of studies, nobody looked down on them, the complete opposite, most of the young teens/ young 20s adults looked up to them for guidance etc....

Matter of fact, you are better off doing studies at an older age and guarantee a good paying job because of it, then graduate uni at 21 and work at a *****y job you dont like because you were ashamed/scared of doing future studies...
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

No one gives a **** about your age, sure they might make remarks, but thats as far as it goes, no one is going to bully you for it.

How did everyone around you react to you starting to study now in terms of your family? I'm trying to internalise the idea that I'm in this situation regardless so I just need to make do with what I have. The issue is I go through periods of feeling like crap and thinking there's no point because I can't make this turn out how I wanted to, I can't go back and undo the missed time
I’m 24 now, I graduated on time and have done a masters too, but I’m starting from scratch anyway with work. What I mean is finishing as early as possible isn’t a guarantee that everything is sunshine… I beat myself up too but I think your 20s are for figuring things out. Life is never a simple linear path. If things went super smooth and perfectly at this age you can bet uncertainty will arise at a later time. It is really okay to be taking your time now. We have decades to be working and earning a living… you’ll miss your 20s one day

Are you in a completely different career? What did you do after graduating?
Thank you so much for your message it helps alot. My first gap year I can rationalise as I retook my A levels and got much better grades but the other 2 feel much more difficult to get over. I hope I can see it the way you do one day but right now I feel like I'm just getting on the race track and everyone else is close to the finish line. I realise I need to just get stuck in and hopefully after internships and work experience I will be in a better place.

Just focus on you. Being a few years older WITH a degree will HELP secure you a better job fresh out of Uni. (If I’m interviewing a 21/22 year old and a 24 year old with the same degree and same aptitude I’d be more likely to employ the 24 year old because 21/22 year olds are generally idiots still 🤣 Bit of maturity helps👍
Enjoy Uni!! I’m jealous as hell I didn’t do it when young enough to enjoy the social side.
You’ll make lifelong friends there too.
i missed all that.

All the very best👍
lol 24 is getting old? Wait till you're nearing your 40s, you will laugh at the fact that once upon a time you thought 24 was old.

LOOOL im in the exact same situation. Im also doing economics and graduating at 24 due to health problems over the past few years. I also feel like I am falling behind, i know exactly how you are feeling. Im so lost, at home now and others are busy doing things. I wish i could just graduate but this education thing is getting longgg now.
LOOOL im in the exact same situation. Im also doing economics and graduating at 24 due to health problems over the past few years. I also feel like I am falling behind, i know exactly how you are feeling. Im so lost, at home now and others are busy doing things. I wish i could just graduate but this education thing is getting longgg now.

How did you tell those around you that you are taking a gap year? As am afraid of judgements for graduating late

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending