The Student Room Group

3rd year, too late to find 'my people' at uni?

In first year, I was just unlucky with my halls. I didn't click with most people in my flat, and my entire halls seemed to be made up of similar people. They were all very nice but they just werent 'my people'. Attempts to move flats to live with people I met in a society fell through (someone else moved in).

This set the tone for the rest of 1st and 2nd year. While I was meeting lots of people and making friendships, I never fell into a tight-knit group that I would do most things with. Instead I would just occasionally meet up with certain individuals whenever I wanted something to do, although I had to be proactive here as they were often busy with their own groups. As much as I like these people, I just havent spent enough time with them for the friendships to be particularly deep, and it feels like they're better friends with their own groups, which leaves me feeling very isolated.

Spending the whole of 1st and 2nd year putting myself out there and hoping for a group to 'fall into place' has been exhausting and frustrating, and with just 3rd year left it's not looking likely. Overall my social experience at uni has been lacklustre and I find it quite embarrassing to talk about.

Maybe I'm being too picky about who 'my people' are, maybe I'm being unrealistic about finding the perfect group of people, but I just thought it would have happened naturally by now.

This is mostly just a rant, but I wonder if it's too late for me to find my people in 3rd year? Any success stories? Any advice? I'm still open to putting myself out there again and join a society, but I also need to focus on work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending