The Student Room Group

How can I get a job?

I am 18 and I am newly out of sixth form. I have applied for roughly 20 jobs already, but I am still waiting for a few of them to get back to me. I have recently completed a week's worth of work experience with the C-op and it went really well.

I know that COVID has had an effect on jobs and entry level employment, but why am I having so little luck? The jobs I am applying for are things like retail assistants.

Can anyone help?
Original post by Fr0stii
I am 18 and I am newly out of sixth form. I have applied for roughly 20 jobs already, but I am still waiting for a few of them to get back to me. I have recently completed a week's worth of work experience with the C-op and it went really well.

I know that COVID has had an effect on jobs and entry level employment, but why am I having so little luck? The jobs I am applying for are things like retail assistants.

Can anyone help?

I read somewhere that Britain currently has a record number of job vacancies- this is a good time to find work.

How’s your CV? Are you tailoring it specifically for each job that you are applying for? Have you written a cover letter? 1 quality application is far better than 2 poorly executed and hastily submitted applications.

With retail there’s a huge element of luck, you aren’t necessarily the problem. How attached are you to the idea of working in retail? I know the hospitality industry is crying out for staff at the moment, although if COVID cases substantially rise, the hospitality industry is going to be again profoundly affected- little job security.
Reply 2
If it's minimum wage you'll be earning, you might find that you'll get more hours and pay (from tips) working in hospitality. Some bars, pubs and restaurants have had to close on certain days due to lack of staff so they're really crying out for applicants, and you'll rarely be required to have experience for waitering/bar staff positions.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by username4910484
I read somewhere that Britain currently has a record number of job vacancies- this is a good time to find work.

How’s your CV? Are you tailoring it specifically for each job that you are applying for? Have you written a cover letter? 1 quality application is far better than 2 poorly executed and hastily submitted applications.

With retail there’s a huge element of luck, you aren’t necessarily the problem. How attached are you to the idea of working in retail? I know the hospitality industry is crying out for staff at the moment, although if COVID cases substantially rise, the hospitality industry is going to be again profoundly affected- little job security.

1.) Yes, I tailor my CV to each job (when they allow a CV, as some require you to fill out a few questions rather than uploading a CV)
2.) Yes, I include a cover letter when I can, when applying through email and when applying through other means, if it is available
3.) I'm not exactly attached to the retail industry at all, I'd be happy doing more or less any job
Reply 4
Original post by lojawa
If it's minimum wage you'll be earning, you might find that you'll get more hours and pay (from tips) working in hospitality. Some bars, pubs and restaurants have had to close on certain days due to lack of staff so they're really crying out for applicants, and you'll rarely be required to have experience for waitering/bar staff positions.

All pubs near me have full capacity staff, and the ones that don't have rejected my application as I don't have enough experience - and that's for pubs, restaurants and bars.
Original post by Fr0stii
1.) Yes, I tailor my CV to each job (when they allow a CV, as some require you to fill out a few questions rather than uploading a CV)
2.) Yes, I include a cover letter when I can, when applying through email and when applying through other means, if it is available
3.) I'm not exactly attached to the retail industry at all, I'd be happy doing more or less any job

Do factory work. They will hire you if you can breathe.
Reply 6
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Do factory work. They will hire you if you can breathe.

Could you give some examples of companies that may have factories? I live around Birmingham, so I'm not sure how many there are within 5 miles (I don't have a car)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending