The Student Room Group

Mature Student - Applying for Maths degree

Hi everyone.

Mature student wanting to go back to uni (dropped out 5 years ago in first year).

Back in 2016, I did an Access to HE: Maths, physics and engineering course with majority distinctions in my maths units and then merits in the physics.

Any advice about applying etc and general opinion about where would accept ?
Original post by Kstudy93
Hi everyone.

Mature student wanting to go back to uni (dropped out 5 years ago in first year).

Back in 2016, I did an Access to HE: Maths, physics and engineering course with majority distinctions in my maths units and then merits in the physics.

Any advice about applying etc and general opinion about where would accept ?

Any recent study? Do you have location preferences?
Reply 2
Hi Muttley79, Thanks for looking over other post.

Study wise, I've had to apply myself because I've been self-employed so constantly looking up how to do things and directly applying it, so a study of a sort.

I'm going to spend next year getting up to speed, I kept all my modules and books from my access course so going to be teaching myself again with some khan academy and *fingers crossed* student room to help if I get stuck or Math Blind.

I've got like 20 pages to complete (combination of reading and working them), and with that speed I could core 1 in a week, so going to trial that pace of work and see if its achievable. (Today done 12 and I picked surds because its not something I remembered well)

Rather funny, hating some basic things (surds) are coming back to me but I don't forget how to do the product rule dy/dx = vdu/dx + udv/dx and how to use it.

If I get up to speed really quickly and really apply myself, I could take aim at something with some higher requirements. Wanting to speak to some other people about what they think on this.

Currently I have a polytechnic uni which I'm going to go and speak to the Maths department on 23rd Oct, however its got much lower requirements than my achieved results in 2016. It's down the road and in an area I'm really familiar with.
Hi Muttley79, Thanks for looking over other post.

Study wise, I've had to apply myself because I've been self-employed so constantly looking up how to do things and directly applying it, so a study of a sort.

I'm going to spend next year getting up to speed, I kept all my modules and books from my access course so going to be teaching myself again with some khan academy and *fingers crossed* student room to help if I get stuck or Math Blind.

I've got like 20 pages to complete (combination of reading and working them), and with that speed I could core 1 in a week, so going to trial that pace of work and see if its achievable. (Today done 12 and I picked surds because its not something I remembered well)

Rather funny, hating some basic things (surds) are coming back to me but I don't forget how to do the product rule dy/dx = vdu/dx + udv/dx and how to use it.

If I get up to speed really quickly and really apply myself, I could take aim at something with some higher requirements. Wanting to speak to some other people about what they think on this.

Currently I have a polytechnic uni which I'm going to go and speak to the Maths department on 23rd Oct, however its got much lower requirements than my achieved results in 2016. It's down the road and in an area I'm really familiar with.

This is a great website for going over A level content: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

People will also help you on here.

Yes, I think a newer uni is more likely to be supportive or even the OU? If you want to stay where you are then looking locally is a great idea - that's what I meant by location. If you prease 'reply' it lets me know you've responded :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
This is a great website for going over A level content: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

People will also help you on here.

Yes, I think a newer uni is more likely to be supportive or even the OU? If you want to stay where you are then looking locally is a great idea - that's what I meant by location. If you prease 'reply' it lets me know you've responded :smile:

Oh my goodness, Thank you so much. having some access to to further maths units will really build me up! That was going to be my challenge part considering I've never done it before to show I can learn new things. I'll have to build this into my learning/revision schedule.

And again that is something to consider you mentioning the open uni. I also might consider Surrey, but its 1.5 hour travel, but I could consider a move to Guilford for it as its only a train, plus its nearer me Mum's which would be nice as I don't see her very often.

Muttley79, are you up to anything study wise or just being a blessing?

Speak soon.
Oh my goodness, Thank you so much. having some access to to further maths units will really build me up! That was going to be my challenge part considering I've never done it before to show I can learn new things. I'll have to build this into my learning/revision schedule.

And again that is something to consider you mentioning the open uni. I also might consider Surrey, but its 1.5 hour travel, but I could consider a move to Guilford for it as its only a train, plus its nearer me Mum's which would be nice as I don't see her very often.

Muttley79, are you up to anything study wise or just being a blessing?

Speak soon.

I teach Maths and come on here to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending