The Student Room Group

changing uni while in first year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi there! We wouldn't frown upon it, no. It will depend to some extent on whether you have dropped out to reapply for a different uni or a different course (or both). That's not to say we wouldn't accept either as a valid reason, but it's quite likely you would be asked at interview.

Would dropping out just because I wanted to study a different course be valid?
Original post by Anonymous
Would dropping out just because I wanted to study a different course be valid?

Yes, although you might be asked at interview why you started studying it in the first place and what made you want to change.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Yes, although you might be asked at interview why you started studying it in the first place and what made you want to change.

Thank you.
can I send a ucas application while enrolled at my current university and then drop out later in the application process?
can I send a ucas application while enrolled at my current university and then drop out later in the application process?

Yes. But you'll most likely need to provide a referee from your current uni.
Original post by Admit-One
Yes. But you'll most likely need to provide a referee from your current uni.

instead of my secondary school?

even if I drop out?
Is there any harm in submitting the application, then withdrawing it?

Yes. If you provide a reference from your secondary school, some unis, (maybe not all), may ask for a more recent one.
Original post by Admit-One
Yes. If you provide a reference from your secondary school, some unis, (maybe not all), may ask for a more recent one.

Is this okay to do after the deadline?
what to do if i want to change uni but am in first year of uni?

It’s so much easier to drop out. Most decent unis don’t accept transfers and if they do it needs extenuating circumstances. I dropped out after 2 months, got a job, and reapplied and now am so much happier. Don’t waste the full year of tuition. I’m paying back what I got last time out of my loan this year so I can do a 4 year course funded.
Original post by Googley_eyes
It’s so much easier to drop out. Most decent unis don’t accept transfers and if they do it needs extenuating circumstances. I dropped out after 2 months, got a job, and reapplied and now am so much happier. Don’t waste the full year of tuition. I’m paying back what I got last time out of my loan this year so I can do a 4 year course funded.

thank you! what was your situation, if you don;t mind me asking?
thank you! what was your situation, if you don;t mind me asking?

The uni was horrible to the disabled students and the course was poorly run
Reply 33
if i apply to ucas again during my uni first year and do not receive any offer, i could just simply continue with my original degree at the current uni right? No other risks trying (other than wasting a year tuition)?

You need the reference when you send off your application. It won't be complete and processed without a reference. You can choose to sent the application off without a reference, but I'm pretty sure Oxbridge would refuse your application outright. Other unis might also question the lack of reference.
Original post by verchow
if i apply to ucas again during my uni first year and do not receive any offer, i could just simply continue with my original degree at the current uni right? No other risks trying (other than wasting a year tuition)?

Yes. You can wait and see what responses you get before making any decisions.

If you provide an old reference and it’s not acceptable, the vast majority of unis will just ask you for a new one, (either before an offer, or as part of one). It’s impossible to say whether every single uni would do this though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending