The Student Room Group

Future looking pretty bleak

My life is a mess. I’m 18 years old, not starting university this year because I don’t know what I’m doing career wise and my head isn’t in the right place, I’m working a rubbish 10 hours a week job earning peanuts, I have only 1 friend, and I barely even speak to them, my diet is absolutely terrible, I just constantly eat junk food and way too much of it, I’m seriously damaging my body the way I’m eating - I’m shocked that im not diabetic and I’ve tried so much to stop but I always give up and give in, I have crippling social anxiety and zero social skills whatsoever, I’m depressed literally all of the time - from the second I wake up to the second I go the sleep I feel this ungodly weight upon my shoulders that just won’t go away no matter what I do, and I just feel like I’m sinking deeper and deeper and nothing is ever going to get better.

I can’t even speak to my family about my mental health situation because they’re the kind of “get over it, what do you have to be depressed about” kind of people. I’m just stuck in an endless loop of depression and anxiety, and there’s no light at the end of the tunnel.

And I feel selfish for typing this - because I know around the world there are people with much worse lives and much worse situations than me - but I still feel like this. I still feel terrible and worthless. I really don’t know what to do, I don’t even know why I’m ranting all of this out on Student room to be honest, I’m just lost.

I just feel like my life is always going to stay this way, that I’m never going to achieve anything great and I’m always going to be miserable and awkward and overall a failure of a human being. So people of Student room - what on earth do I do?
Original post by Anonymous
My life is a mess. I’m 18 years old, not starting university this year because I don’t know what I’m doing career wise and my head isn’t in the right place, I’m working a rubbish 10 hours a week job earning peanuts, I have only 1 friend, and I barely even speak to them, my diet is absolutely terrible, I just constantly eat junk food and way too much of it, I’m seriously damaging my body the way I’m eating - I’m shocked that im not diabetic and I’ve tried so much to stop but I always give up and give in, I have crippling social anxiety and zero social skills whatsoever, I’m depressed literally all of the time - from the second I wake up to the second I go the sleep I feel this ungodly weight upon my shoulders that just won’t go away no matter what I do, and I just feel like I’m sinking deeper and deeper and nothing is ever going to get better.

I can’t even speak to my family about my mental health situation because they’re the kind of “get over it, what do you have to be depressed about” kind of people. I’m just stuck in an endless loop of depression and anxiety, and there’s no light at the end of the tunnel.

And I feel selfish for typing this - because I know around the world there are people with much worse lives and much worse situations than me - but I still feel like this. I still feel terrible and worthless. I really don’t know what to do, I don’t even know why I’m ranting all of this out on Student room to be honest, I’m just lost.

I just feel like my life is always going to stay this way, that I’m never going to achieve anything great and I’m always going to be miserable and awkward and overall a failure of a human being. So people of Student room - what on earth do I do?

Considered going to a GP and allowing them to refer you to mental health services?
Have you looked at all careers possible and decided that none is for you?
Original post by Anonymous

You are not a failure. Remember that. Your point that there are people who have it worse seems like a bit of ******** to me. Just because somebody is in a worse situation than you doesn't mean that your situation is fine. All I can recommend is therapy and exercise. Exercise releases endorphins and makes you happier and will help with better dieting. Eat healthier is all I can say, perhaps search up recipes and cook them. I also really recommend removing all the junk food so that you are forced to eat healthily. Good Luck :smile:
Go to a therapist, it will help. Also try doing things that make you genuinely happy, it will distract you for a while at least.
ive just finished uni and i feel the exact same way that you do and you have just explained my life, so please dont feel alone. Things will get better it's just sometimes we have to take little steps to make things get better. I hate my current life so I am trying to fix everything that I hate one by one. I would say to write down all of your problems and try and research and find solutions to making things better.
I know what its like to be stuck in a job you hate, however its good for money and for putting on your cv and developing skills to make you employable to future employers, in your spare time you could apply for jobs to start a career?
As for your career if you don't know what to do, try something if you hate it you can always quit, there are so many good jobs that you can get without having a degree these days. any experience is great for whatever you do in the future and who knows you might find a role that you love. Also these jobs can often offer training and professional qualifications which in some cases they pay for which is so great! maybe you can make a mindmap of the jobs/industries you think you would enjoy and apply to them or even ones you're not sure about for interview practice. you might even decide you wanna move to manchester or london or a different town or even commute to your work and live with your parents to save money.
Linkedin has helped me find some really good opportunities such as internships, so maybe create an account on there. You will be able to connect with people from different industries and recruiters who will help you find a job. If you decide to go to uni thats great too it can give you an extra three years to figure out what you want to do. Also many grad schemes at companies dont require a specific degree they just want a certain grade from any degree so that is really good. for example, with a humanities degree you can still go onto an accountancy firm and train to be an accountant or something.
I would say speak to your gp about the depression and anxiety they can really help you. although i know it is easier said than done. i know sometimes parents dont understand that kids can be depressed so sometimes our parents may struggle with helping us. As youre over 18 you can go to the gp and they can offer help such as medication, therapy. Whilst you are there see if you can get a blood test done to check your vitamins, be honest with them and tell them you eat junk. i had to do this recently and i was low in so many vitamins which could also be the reason you feel depressed and anxious, because the chemicals the companies put in junk are designed to make us want to eat more and feel as though we have an addiction to it. maybe google what you can eat to boost serotonin which could boost your mood. i struggle with staying away from junk food too but the best thing to do is remember that these companies dont care about whats good for us they care about their profits. spend time looking for nice recipes that you think you might enjoy theres good stuff on instagram, and then go shopping which will be good for leaving the house and pushing yourself when you might not feel like it. Then cook the nice meal, im sure you will really love cooking. as for the junk food maybe try and make a healthier alternative, like if you want a mcdonalds big mac, get the same ingredients such as a portion of meat and some salad stuff and im sure it will have less junk in it than the mcdonalds one.

im not sure if the next piece of advice is going to help but it has helped me so maybe it could help. take little steps and just tell yourself always over in your head when things get hard that 'i can do this' 'ive always got this look how far youve come'. be proud of every step you take. try and get some fresh air even if the only way you get some is by sticking your head out of the bedroom window or going to the supermarket to buy some food. find things you enjoy doing, even things you thought you wouldnt enjoy like cooking reading listening to new music going to the gym or art classes or watching sports or doing your make up. also i feel you on the feeling bad for feeling like this but you have to remember our feelings are valid no matter how great our lives might look to others. but things will be better.
you should reach out to your friend im sure they would love to hear from you maybe you can arrange to meet to go for dinner or do something? dont worry about friends you will meet amazing people in your life when youre at work or if you join classes or go the gym or even on social media.
remember that you can do this !!! things will get better it takes time and sometimes there are things we need to do but when it does one day youll look back and be so happy you made it!! never feel guilty for how you are feeling. you deserve the best life, remember some of the best days of our lives havent happened yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending