The Student Room Group

Astrophysics EPQ Ideas

Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and I am certain of wanting for take an EPQ in year 13 on a topic relating to space as I want to pursue physics w/ astronomy at university. My current ideas are:
1. What will the future of the solar system look like?
2. What are black holes are how are they formed?
3. What are the Aurora Borealis and how are they formed?
4. How does Mercury’s orbit prove General Relativity?
5. How did the Moon form?
6. Life cycle of a star and how it’s important.
7. How did our Solar System form?
8. Evidence of the Big Bang.

Which of these ideas sounds the best to do and which are bad choices? If you have any other ideas please share :smile:
Original post by clessiec
Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and I am certain of wanting for take an EPQ in year 13 on a topic relating to space as I want to pursue physics w/ astronomy at university. My current ideas are:
1. What will the future of the solar system look like?
2. What are black holes are how are they formed?
3. What are the Aurora Borealis and how are they formed?
4. How does Mercury’s orbit prove General Relativity?
5. How did the Moon form?
6. Life cycle of a star and how it’s important.
7. How did our Solar System form?
8. Evidence of the Big Bang.

Which of these ideas sounds the best to do and which are bad choices? If you have any other ideas please share :smile:

One of the biggest tips I was given is that your question or title shouldn't be something you can just look up on the internet. So something like 2,3,6 maybe don't fit in this category so while I'm sure they're interesting you might be better off with idea 1. The other ideas would be interesting but I think that the first one could help you get a better mark because it's a bit more complex. If it was me I would maybe look at 2 or 3 competing theories for what the solar system would look like and then your title could be something like 'is x's theory a better prediction of the future of our solar system than y's theory'. Something like that, because examiners love it when you try to answer a question or are comparing. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending