The Student Room Group

Mandatory NHS vaccinations

Apparantly they are making the covid vaccine mandatory.

As an NHS worker I’ve had all the jabs (even though I developed a fever palpitations after the first one) and will be more than willing to have future vaccines

However making them mandatory changes things a lot, I really don’t like the idea of being forced to have the vaccine at all. The principal of the thing just makes me feel like quitting.

Not sure how many others who are willing to have the vaccines anyway feel similar

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

As an NHS worker I’ve had all the jabs (even though I developed a fever palpitations after the first one) and will be more than willing to have future vaccines

However making them mandatory changes things a lot, I really don’t like the idea of being forced to have the vaccine at all. The principal of the thing just makes me feel like quitting.

Not sure how many others who are willing to have the vaccines anyway feel similar

There are people who probably share your view but few would publicly state their true feelings to avoid attacks or name-calling such as anti-vaxxer or conspiracy theorist.

For me, I think it should be a personal choice as long as the person is not putting others at risk. I understand that the jab is effective on an individual basis but it does not stop transmission, so I don't fully understand the reason for forcing people to take it.

I do think that individuals should take it to protect themselves.
Would you be able to share a source about this with us please?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Would you be able to share a source about this with us please?

I dont know whether your post was directed at me, but here are some links:

Government considering mandatory vaccinations for healthcare workers

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2222

https://www.gponline.com/fears-mandatory-covid-19-vaccination-hit-nhs-staffing-levels-introduced/article/1731555

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/coronavirus/government-warned-against-mandating-vaccines-for-nhs-staff-during-winter-02-11-2021/
Plenty of vaccines are already mandatory for healthcare workers; why is this one being mandatory such an issue?
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
Plenty of vaccines are already mandatory for healthcare workers; why is this one being mandatory such an issue?

They are not though not by law
They are not though not by law

But if you don't have certain vaccines, you won't be allowed to work
Reply 9
Youre not being forced though? You can simply resign if you dont want to get the jab. Either way, like that moronic woman who went viral after being sacked for refusing to get jabbed or wear a mask in hospital, you should know perfectly well that the jab is not only for your protection but for the patients in the hospitals.. of all the people to be 'made' to get it, of course those working in healthcare would be up there. Im not sure why this is surprising to so many?
I work in healthcare and whilst I fully believe all healthcare workers should be vaccinated, I don't like the idea of the government forcing people to have the jabs. Sacking people who don't have the vaccine is only going to result in more pressure on an already struggling healthcare system, the main people affected are going to be the workers as staffing levels will decrease, meaning we'll be expected to take on a larger workload for the same pay, causing more stress, more health issues, more sickness, and the patients due to a lower quality of care. Nobody wins.
(edited 2 years ago)

As I understand, companies can't mandate workers have vaccines per se, but they can make it a requirement of employment. Thus, you are free to choose not to have a vaccine - however they are free to not continue employing you if so. You are still free to find work in another workplace or profession without the vaccine. As noted healthcare workers need certain vaccines already anyway so there is precedent for it.

Also frankly I'd be a bit concerned as a patient if I found out the healthcare professionals treating me didn't get a covid vaccine because they didn't believe in it or something. There have been plenty of documented cases in the US of healthcare workers who don't believe in the covid vaccine/covid just injecting patients with saline instead of a vaccine for example. I'd be pretty concerned to be treated by someone who doesn't believe in the healthcare issues I'm seeking treatment for from them!
I'm always concerned when people who work in healthcare are themselves dubious about the efficacy or approval of vaccines. If your concern was that great, how would you square off delivering to someone else?
Original post by Admit-One
I'm always concerned when people who work in healthcare are themselves dubious about the efficacy or approval of vaccines. If your concern was that great, how would you square off delivering to someone else?

Then you are concerned about critical thinking. Healthcare professionals differ in opinion on clinical situations and guidelines all the time. They will still follow them as they are employed to do so.

Those rare incidents of injecting with saline is a different topic this situation a criminal act very different from simply having your own opinions.

If everyone agreed with the same thing/evidence progress would not be made. Everyone has a brain we are designed to use it not just agree with the majority.

This being said I personally wouldn’t argue against clinical evidence/robust studies. Ive had all the covid and flu vaccines as soon as they came out. I just feel threatened by the mandatory thing (we can’t help how we feel) even if it’s the right thing logically.
Original post by IWMTom
Get over yourself. If you don't like it, don't work in healthcare.

I got over myself when covid hit and you were likely sat on your arse at home.

People train for careers in healthcare, get mortgages set up, get reliant on the income and then are told don’t work in healthcare if you don’t like it. It’s not that simple.

Will see what transpires, might not stay getting sick of people and being **** on in the workplace despite trying to help anyway
I got over myself when covid hit and you were likely sat on your arse at home.

People train for careers in healthcare, get mortgages set up, get reliant on the income and then are told don’t work in healthcare if you don’t like it. It’s not that simple.

Will see what transpires, might not stay getting sick of people and being **** on in the workplace despite trying to help anyway

Whatever happens, I want to you to know that we are grateful for your service. Unfortunately, some people have short memory and might have forgotten the horrible times during peak Covid and our gratitude to healthcare workers.

Whatever your decision, you should know that there are people out there rooting for you and your colleagues. Many thanks
Fellow NHS worker here- I agree with you
Original post by IWMTom
Frankly I'd rather you not be in healthcare if you don't agree with receiving the vaccine.

Don't go spouting the "it's my choice" nonsense - you should be setting an example.

Apologies for my first sentence just reread it it was uncalled for my angers quite high at the moment

You don’t appear to have understood my point at all. I do agree with having the vaccine, I’ve had them all. What I don’t agree with is mandatory vaccination, there’s a difference. I do not disagree with the vaccine. Every staff member I know has had it anyway, mandating it comes across as threatening to me (at the end of the day we are trying to help and are getting the vaccines) and we all know that the worst way of persuading people to do something is telling them they have to do it.
I don't agree with mandatory vaccinations as a condition of service/premises entry or compulsory medical treatment for anyone.
It is totalitarian, coercive and most likely to backfire.
But those members of staff whose direct role is to administer vaccines or promote specific vaccinations to the patients/general public should have their own up to date proof of vaccination available for those that they hope to persuade to view.
Original post by londonmyst
I don't agree with mandatory vaccinations as a condition of service/premises entry or compulsory medical treatment for anyone.
It is totalitarian, coercive and most likely to backfire.
But those members of staff whose direct role is to administer vaccines or promote specific vaccinations to the patients/general public should have their own up to date proof of vaccination available for those that they hope to persuade to view.

That’s what people forget, a vaccine is a medical treatment. It’s questionable how people can claim that full consent is obtained for it if there’s a glass ceiling ie you can decline but you lose your job, income and everything else that suffers because of that.

I also find it quite immoral in a way how they are only enforcing this next April, due to the fear of staff shortages if it is implemented before winter. It’s like we really need you vaccinated /unvaccinated folk to get us through the rough but then we can afford to be picky with you. This is just how it comes across to me.. no one has to agree. I mean I do get that it’s a business at the end of the day and the sole purpose is to use people and protect patients but still

Latest

Trending

Trending