The Student Room Group

Mistreatment of students in A Level Drama

I'm doing my final year of A-Levels in history, literature and drama, but I'm currently struggling in drama as I have physical health conditions that constrain my perfoming ability. During year 12, as part of component 2, we had to do a devising piece and out group chose "feminism through time". Our piece was supposed to be historically accurate, with each of us focusing on different eras - one of the members on the Edwardian era, I was focusing on the Second World War and the others were focused on the 1980s and the modern day. However, my participation in the piece was belittled not only by fellow students who lacked the historical knowledge required for the piece, but also the teachers. I tried to accurately depict female participation in the war effort, as in the A.T.S (Auxiliary Territorial Services), W.R.N.S (Womens Royal Naval Service), W.A.A.F (Womens Auxiliary Air Force) and the W.L.A (Womens Land Army). My desire for accuracy was met with ridicule which resulted in the detriment of my own scene on behalf of the other students involved. Not to mention the other students, particularly the student depicting the Edwardian era (and subsumming it into a Conservative culturally weak society) was depicted in an immensely inaccurate manner, with inaccurate throwaway comments, plagiarism and some tasteless man-hating. Needless to say the particular scene added little to the overall performance as it had no focus on female progression nor was it historically accurate due to the prevalence of inaccuracy. Yet I am still belittled? I will also mention my struggle with mental health has attributed to my growing discontent with drama, especially after having been told my "lack of communication" risks a lower grade. I'm just a bit up in the air about it all. What do I do? I don't wish to commit to "people pleasing" and there is clearly some favouritism going on, but should I flag it especially since it does impact my own view of my progression?
(edited 2 years ago)
Nip this in the bud. Find the highest authority you can (preferably head of the college) and raise your own personal form of (polite) hell. Make sure you detail every single thing they have done to you and exactly how it happened. This will not go unpunished unless you are in some first world dystopia, I guarantee you.
Original post by Mephlick
Nip this in the bud. Find the highest authority you can (preferably head of the college) and raise your own personal form of (polite) hell. Make sure you detail every single thing they have done to you and exactly how it happened. This will not go unpunished unless you are in some first world dystopia, I guarantee you.

Glad you think I should chase this up. Also my teacher has treated me with particular distaste throughout the academic year so I'll certainly politely suggest that improvements be made.
Original post by WRNS.Fanatic
Glad you think I should chase this up. Also my teacher has treated me with particular distaste throughout the academic year so I'll certainly politely suggest that improvements be made.

I hope you are simply a master of the British art of understatements. But yeah, go forth and actively describe it as if you feel you are being mistreated and targeted.
Original post by Mephlick
I hope you are simply a master of the British art of understatements. But yeah, go forth and actively describe it as if you feel you are being mistreated and targeted.

Unfortunately so. In actuality she has been atrocious as a teacher, telling me that my mental health is "not her problem", going against the Equality Act 2010 but she seems to think she can get away with it! I'll propose it to the head. The head of Sixth Form is too not the nicest person so I will have to take it to the head of the school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending