The Student Room Group

I feel like a failure.

So this summer I got AAAA*in bio chem psych n the epq
I have always wanted to do medicine
But had to apply for mpharm last year coz my teachers wouldn't predict me the right grades
I rejected mpharm
But my UCAT came low afterwards
I didnt want to live the rest of my life I regret for not chasing my dream simply bcz I was scared of taking a gap year
So I took a gap year I'm working 20 hours a week at a supermarket
It's going alright but it gets depressing again n again
I applied for unis strategically havent heard back yet though
My 5th choice was a backup for computer science at a rg uni...I will be doing a foundation year n they asked for a separate ps computer science is my 2and fav field but if I dont get in this time I'll prolly want to take another gap year improve my UCAT n apply again coz medicine is my dream
But idk y the uncertainty kills me
The fact that I'll be behind 2 years in my life but anyway
I jus wanted to talk out what I was feeling
(edited 2 years ago)
How are you a failure? You are working and earning money that will help you when you go to uni, and you can use the year to your advantage to get more work experience and volunteering and all that. Good luck and hope you hear back from the unis you applied to soon.
Universities have only received UCAT results and the BMAT was only sat last week. Interview invites should come around December but it's too early to worry about that now.
Thank you for understanding
So far most ppl I tried to explain my situation too have jus told me that I'm asking for too much I got amazing grades so I should be happy but no one can acc understand the stress a medical applicant faces that too on a gap year
Yea nvm i should go to bed
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tecna
So this summer I got AAAA*in bio chem psych n the epq
I have always wanted to do medicine
But had to apply for mpharm last year coz my teachers wouldn't predict me the right grades
I rejected mpharm
But my UCAT came low afterwards
I didnt want to live the rest of my life I regret for not chasing my dream simply bcz I was scared of taking a gap year
So I took a gap year I'm working 20 hours a week at a supermarket
It's going alright but it gets depressing again n again
I applied for unis strategically havent heard back yet though
My 5th choice was a backup for computer science at a rg uni...I will be doing a foundation year n they asked for a separate ps computer science is my 2and fav field but if I dont get in this time I'll prolly want to take another gap year improve my UCAT n apply again coz medicine is my dream
But idk y the uncertainty kills me
The fact that I'll be behind 2 years in my life but anyway
I jus wanted to talk out what I was feeling

failure sorry WHAT thats AMAZING! don't worry about behind everyone else.. doesn't make you a failure at all. your time will come when its meant to, no matter how long it takes.
hope it all works out for you ((:
Basically I have doubts not about the profession but myself
I'm competitive and I do well academically as well, one of the things that really attract me about medicine is how consuming the career is like u r totally immersed in ur job plus I really like the anatomy and helping ppl etc
So workwise I'm fine
But my social skills r really bad Idk how to stand up for myself, I'm alright talking to strangers etc but I still get anxiety when under pressure
Do all medics have gud social skills to start with?
I'm not worried about the intensity of the degree jus the social aspect but then I feel like if I dont get out of my comfort zone I'll never get to become a doctor
Reply 7
Seeing as you have the skills, and attributes to fulfil your career desires. The hard part is done :smile: just work on your confidence, and overcome any social issues.
Original post by tecna
Basically I have doubts not about the profession but myself
I'm competitive and I do well academically as well, one of the things that really attract me about medicine is how consuming the career is like u r totally immersed in ur job plus I really like the anatomy and helping ppl etc
So workwise I'm fine
But my social skills r really bad Idk how to stand up for myself, I'm alright talking to strangers etc but I still get anxiety when under pressure
Do all medics have gud social skills to start with?
I'm not worried about the intensity of the degree jus the social aspect but then I feel like if I dont get out of my comfort zone I'll never get to become a doctor

I don't think it's helpful to think in terms of "good" or "bad" social skills. Everyone has some aspects of communication or social interaction that come more naturally to them than others. Any caring profession will throw you into situations that you'd never imagined, which means that your communication, empathy, and insight will be tested and developed throughout your working life. Again, this is the same for everyone. It isn't the case that some people walk into medical school with all the requisite skills and others don't.

I'm similar to you - in the past I struggled with assertiveness and I still feel a bit anxious in conflict situations. This has improved massively with time and practice. The important thing is to be aware of your weaknesses and ready to learn. You need to be as patient with yourself as you would be with others, and vice versa.
Original post by Incidentaloma
I don't think it's helpful to think in terms of "good" or "bad" social skills. Everyone has some aspects of communication or social interaction that come more naturally to them than others. Any caring profession will throw you into situations that you'd never imagined, which means that your communication, empathy, and insight will be tested and developed throughout your working life. Again, this is the same for everyone. It isn't the case that some people walk into medical school with all the requisite skills and others don't.

I'm similar to you - in the past I struggled with assertiveness and I still feel a bit anxious in conflict situations. This has improved massively with time and practice. The important thing is to be aware of your weaknesses and ready to learn. You need to be as patient with yourself as you would be with others, and vice versa.

♥️thnxx
Original post by Schotel
Seeing as you have the skills, and attributes to fulfil your career desires. The hard part is done :smile: just work on your confidence, and overcome any social issues.

🤗will do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending