The Student Room Group

Second year accomodation

Hey,
I'm at Swansea university first year. I have some good friends, but none to really live with for second-year accommodation. Is it too early to be worrying about accommodation? With only two weeks till the end of this term, I really don't think I will be meeting any other groups of people to live with. Seems like a lot of people have already sorted out who to live with and I'm really don't know what to do, feels too late to meet new people. What options are there? I'm sure many are in the same boat as me, but there seems to be little advice online.
Reply 1
There will almost certainly be some sort of housemate finder group on facebook for your uni. I was in a similar position, only had 1 friend to live with which obviously isn't enough for a house, so we found 4 other great people on facebook who were all in similar positions and in all honesty, there is no shortage of people in this position. You should look into doing this sooner rather than later though.
Original post by mma_jd
There will almost certainly be some sort of housemate finder group on facebook for your uni. I was in a similar position, only had 1 friend to live with which obviously isn't enough for a house, so we found 4 other great people on facebook who were all in similar positions and in all honesty, there is no shortage of people in this position. You should look into doing this sooner rather than later though.

Hi there!

As the person above said, a great way of finding flatmates is on Facebook - for Lancaster there is a facebook page dedicated to this so there should be one for Swansea as well. Don't worry too much about not having a flat together yet, I think there's a lot of pressure to get a second year house really quickly in first year but you can definitely still find accomodation all the way into third term.

Personally, I ended up in a house in my second year with some people who turned out to be awful because I was scared about getting a house too late and signed before the end of first term. Looking back now, if I'd just waited until after the holidays, I would have ended up with some much nicer people, so who knows, waiting might be a blessing in disguise. I'm not saying this to scare you, just letting you know what the pressure to sign on a house early could lead to! That being said, it was okay in the end as I was able to spend a lot of time with my friends outside of the house so the awful housemates didn't impact me as much as I thought they would and I ended up having a lovely second year (this was before covid!).

I'd also reach out to your students' union, who should be able to give you some more specific advice based on the town you're living in.

Don't worry too much and just keep an eye on the housemate Facebook page for your uni, everything will be okay!

-Daisy (Final year Spanish and Theatre student) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending