The Student Room Group

Is this toxic?

Hey guys
I have a friend. Feel like we're stuck in a cycle of 'upsetting' each other but love each other too much to leave each other. i feel drained sometimes but i cant get myself to leave her, because she's my best friend.
Is this toxic? it's giving me toxic vibes but I can't figure it out. Whenever we talk normally, it's really fun and I love it to bits. But at this moment in time, i would say 90% of our conversations are where one is upset and the other is trying to convince them to:
1. Not leave
2. Not harm themselves
3. that they're perfect
Is it toxic if a friend would harm themselves for you? I genuinely feel really lost and confused :frown:
p.s. this is not an online friend, so it would be even more difficult to leave since we see each other daily.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys
I have a friend. Feel like we're stuck in a cycle of 'upsetting' each other but love each other too much to leave each other. i feel drained sometimes but i cant get myself to leave her, because she's my best friend.
Is this toxic? it's giving me toxic vibes but I can't figure it out. Whenever we talk normally, it's really fun and I love it to bits. But at this moment in time, i would say 90% of our conversations are where one is upset and the other is trying to convince them to:
1. Not leave
2. Not harm themselves
3. that they're perfect
Is it toxic if a friend would harm themselves for you? I genuinely feel really lost and confused :frown:
p.s. this is not an online friend, so it would be even more difficult to leave since we see each other daily.

hey!
I had a similar problem with a friend, and this is what I did :

- I basically isolated myself from her as I wanted to make new friends

- ^ this was very hard as she was still trying to walk with me, but I had noticed how controlling she had become and needed to distance myself.

- my advice would be;
1️⃣ talk to them about it (if you feel comfortable doing so) talk about how it’s affecting you. or if you have a good bond with your guardians/ adults talk to them.

2️⃣- it is very draining and can affect you so much, if it gets overwhelming and too much - I’d distance yourself from them. sometimes even the best friendships need time apart!

I hope it gets better for you and your friend! ❤️
Reply 2
Original post by Daisy.beaube
hey!
I had a similar problem with a friend, and this is what I did :

- I basically isolated myself from her as I wanted to make new friends

- ^ this was very hard as she was still trying to walk with me, but I had noticed how controlling she had become and needed to distance myself.

- my advice would be;
1️⃣ talk to them about it (if you feel comfortable doing so) talk about how it’s affecting you. or if you have a good bond with your guardians/ adults talk to them.

2️⃣- it is very draining and can affect you so much, if it gets overwhelming and too much - I’d distance yourself from them. sometimes even the best friendships need time apart!

I hope it gets better for you and your friend! ❤️

I don't think I can talk to her about it because it will turn into another one of those talks we have all the time :frown: But I think you're right. I don't want to lose this friend but I think I should change my perspective on the friendship.
Thank you :smile:
I don't think I can talk to her about it because it will turn into another one of those talks we have all the time :frown: But I think you're right. I don't want to lose this friend but I think I should change my perspective on the friendship.
Thank you :smile:

it’s ok , !
Hey guys
1. Not leave
2. Not harm themselves
3. that they're perfect

hi! i had a a situation like this and he threatened me all things so i wouldnt leave him. what i did was apologise that i didnt feel comfortable being friends with him and then said that i hope he gets better and that i get better and lead our own ways. but the thing is that he left school after so not sure how it would go for you if theyre really toxic but it seems to me that you should find a different friend or friend group. :kitty::smile:
Reply 5
hi! i had a a situation like this and he threatened me all things so i wouldnt leave him. what i did was apologise that i didnt feel comfortable being friends with him and then said that i hope he gets better and that i get better and lead our own ways. but the thing is that he left school after so not sure how it would go for you if theyre really toxic but it seems to me that you should find a different friend or friend group. :kitty::smile:

How can I leave someone if they claim they'd "die" without me :frown: that would be selfish of me to do.
thank you for the advice :smile:
How can I leave someone if they claim they'd "die" without me :frown: that would be selfish of me to do.
thank you for the advice :smile:

this is exactly what i mean that they are pretty toxic,
you need to have a different friend group and tell them that you cant stay friends with them and ask them if they realise how bad this friendship is that they are basically threatening you and making you guilty/
it isnt your fault that you want to leave them. tell them something like "we need to take a break from being friends" or ask another friend/ relative what you should do. i told my other friend and she guided me with it, it really helps! !
i really hope you get out of this situation :C
Reply 7
this is exactly what i mean that they are pretty toxic,
you need to have a different friend group and tell them that you cant stay friends with them and ask them if they realise how bad this friendship is that they are basically threatening you and making you guilty/
it isnt your fault that you want to leave them. tell them something like "we need to take a break from being friends" or ask another friend/ relative what you should do. i told my other friend and she guided me with it, it really helps! !
i really hope you get out of this situation :C

I think I see where you're coming from. Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending