The Student Room Group

Toxic Friendship, help!!!

hi everyone, i could really do with some advice😔 I’ve been stuck in a toxic friendship for what must be coming up to 6 years now. My ‘friend’ always makes nasty, demeaning comments aimed at me, and consistently highlights my insecurities. She gets annoyed if I even do the slightest thing wrong, and never asks how I am. I constantly have anxiety whenever I get a message from her pop up on my phone. I don’t like the person I become when she’s in my life. I’ve started hiding big life updates from her because I just have no desire to tell her for fear of criticism. And then when she asks, I’m afraid to tell her because she will know I’ve been hiding it 😢 Usually, I go out of my way to avoid doing things with her, but I think from her end she believes that I’m the toxic one because I’m drifting away from her without any explanation. The truth is, i’m the world’s biggest people pleaser and I’m really at a loss of what to do to break off the friendship, I’m just terrified of her reaction and all the drama and fall out 😢 But at the same time, I know I deserve better and have had enough of her bringing me down! Has anyone got any advice on how to break off a toxic friendship?
I was in a similar position a while ago, but at least my friendship only lasted a year!

I'm so sorry about all of this - it sounds really horrible. My advice would be to just be upfront with her. Tell her straight that you don't want to be her friend anymore. You don't have to give a cruel, detailed reason. Just say that you don't feel like you were supposed to be close, or that you think you're too different.

If she starts crying, say sorry, but walk away. You might feel like a complete female dog, but it's for everyone's good, seriously. If she's thinking your toxic, everything will be better if you just break it all off.

Block her. Don't speak to her. Smile in the corridors maybe. Just return slowly to distant acquaintances and the pain goes away over time.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
hi everyone, i could really do with some advice😔 I’ve been stuck in a toxic friendship for what must be coming up to 6 years now. My ‘friend’ always makes nasty, demeaning comments aimed at me, and consistently highlights my insecurities. She gets annoyed if I even do the slightest thing wrong, and never asks how I am. I constantly have anxiety whenever I get a message from her pop up on my phone. I don’t like the person I become when she’s in my life. I’ve started hiding big life updates from her because I just have no desire to tell her for fear of criticism. And then when she asks, I’m afraid to tell her because she will know I’ve been hiding it 😢 Usually, I go out of my way to avoid doing things with her, but I think from her end she believes that I’m the toxic one because I’m drifting away from her without any explanation. The truth is, i’m the world’s biggest people pleaser and I’m really at a loss of what to do to break off the friendship, I’m just terrified of her reaction and all the drama and fall out 😢 But at the same time, I know I deserve better and have had enough of her bringing me down! Has anyone got any advice on how to break off a toxic friendship?

silly billy leave them
Reply 3

You know what? What you tolerate will repeat. If you don't like her anymore, please be transparent and let people go. Even at the cost of people thinking you are the bad one. Prioritize yourself. Start with yourself.You dont need the right words. If youre delivering something bad, no matter how well thought your words are, it will still come out as what it is.
Reply 4

Tell her you wanna meet up somewhere and calmly explain to her that this friendship isn't working (just using the reasons you've listed here) if you're not happy being friends with her/are actively trying to avoid her then it's not worth your time. She can throw a big tantrum if she wishes you deserve so much better :smile:
It's been 6 months, I hope OP's all well now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending