The Student Room Group

Help im so cofused what degree?

right this is super bad but I'm currently completing a life science foundation year which leads onto an actual degree after and ive bee doing some thinking and i just dont believe that science is for me not that u cant do it but im just not that interested in it as i think i should be i did it more so because i thought it was more employable and obvi the money but I REALLY REALLY enjoy English and reading , writing essays and having my own ideas/concepts and opinions but i also looove worldly affairs like i could talk for hours about it. See i was thinking about teaching also but i really dont know.am i all over the place? SO WHAT DEGREE SHALL I DO OR SHALL I STICK IT OUT WITH SCIENCE? i want do something interesting but also i want it to be employable and make good money ofc
ANY HELP IS TRULY APPRECIATED MWAH
yeah dont do science
Have a look at Law or any other social science like Sociology. Many of these subjects do not reqiuire any specific A levels subject etc.
Once you have found something that interests you, just email appropriate Unis Admissions Office with full details of your school quals and your current course and ask of they would consider you. Do this asap so you get some resposnses before Christmas.
Two Unis to look at for posible courses - just as examples :
Sussex https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
York St John https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/
Reply 3
Original post by heccyeah
yeah dont do science

youre right
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Have a look at Law or any other social science like Sociology. Many of these subjects do not reqiuire any specific A levels subject etc.
Once you have found something that interests you, just email appropriate Unis Admissions Office with full details of your school quals and your current course and ask of they would consider you. Do this asap so you get some resposnses before Christmas.
Two Unis to look at for posible courses - just as examples :
Sussex https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
York St John https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/

Thank you so much. But is sociology employable?
Original post by yesyes44

Very.
Its a good general degree that teaches you how to think, how to analyse, deal with 'big ideas', handle data, write well, present ideas to others - and all the other skills that many employers want. It could lead you into a hundred different careers - many of which have no obvious connection to the degree subject. Read https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/sociology/career-prospects
@yesyes44

Sociology is certainly employable, although after lecturing in the social sciences for 10 years following a BA Hons in Sociology at MMU and an MSc in Psychology, I would advise to have an action plan if you want to do a social science degree i.e. have an idea of what you want to do afterwards. A lot of people who do sociology degree's go into areas like teaching and social work which require additional study, although there are opportunities in local government and graduate programs for big companies which might interest you.

MA programs in social work are quite popular at the moment, as are PGCE's which is the route that I took

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Definitely don't continue on a course you are not interested in. You could do creative writing, politics, sociology, global affairs and politics ( https://www.derby.ac.uk/undergraduate/global-affairs-politics-courses/global-affairs-politics-ba-hons/ ) , International Relations and Language & Linguistics, Modern Languages and International Relations ( https://www.reading.ac.uk/events/Discover/Ready-to-Study/study/Subject-area/modern-languages-and-european-studies-ug/ba-modern-languages-and-international-relations ) and many more! As you see you can find quite unique courses which can combine both your love of English and world affairs, you just have to search for them :smile:

I just searched "worldy affairs uni courses" and you can also search using words like English writing + world affairs uni courses, things like that. After you find some options you like the sound of, go to the uni open days to not only get a feel for the university and the city, but to attend the course talks where you will get a more detailed view of the course and can ask your questions about future employability.

Hope this helps!

- Rosie

Nothing wrong with Sociology but if you are interested in teaching as you suggest, it might be a good idea to do a combined degree where 50% of your course is in a national curriculum subject like English as that makes it easier to get onto PGCE courses (teacher training postgrad). I did this back in the day because I thought I might like to become a teacher and it does keep that option open
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
If this is the level of English grammar promoted at SHU, its probably a good reason for not studying there.

In my opinion, this seems a bit harsh.

Firstly, the error in Rosie's helpful post was, almost certainly, just a typo. Secondly, it is arguable that almost all the thread posts, including those written by you, have clear typos or errors of grammar, spelling or punctuation. It is common for this to occur in posts but less common for it to be pointed out.
(edited 2 years ago)
right this is super bad but I'm currently completing a life science foundation year which leads onto an actual degree after and ive bee doing some thinking and i just dont believe that science is for me not that u cant do it but im just not that interested in it as i think i should be i did it more so because i thought it was more employable and obvi the money but I REALLY REALLY enjoy English and reading , writing essays and having my own ideas/concepts and opinions but i also looove worldly affairs like i could talk for hours about it. See i was thinking about teaching also but i really dont know.am i all over the place? SO WHAT DEGREE SHALL I DO OR SHALL I STICK IT OUT WITH SCIENCE? i want do something interesting but also i want it to be employable and make good money ofc
ANY HELP IS TRULY APPRECIATED MWAH

Hey @yesyes44

If you truly enjoy English and Reading more than Science, then maybe the humanities are the subjects that you should be looking into. I promise they're way more employable than you may think. There are so many jobs out there that need require people from within the humanities subjects right now, and there always will be a huge demand for it. Looking at the impact of the creative industries on our world compared to a few decades ago, we can see pretty clearly that the future is full of even more creative minds.

If it's what you enjoy, I totally recommend looking into it at the very least. I do Creative Writing at SHU and I absolutely love it. Some of the people on my course want to use the degree to hone their craft and sell their own work, others want to join creative teams working behind the big screen or even go on to do proofreading. There's plenty to choose from with the degree if that's what you're worried about.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
Quinn - Official Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending