The Student Room Group

Shyness in a new job

So i recently started a new job, I'm already a very shy person... and when talking to different teams i think people can tell that I'm shy.

I always give one word answers and always talk "softly", I look a bit timid over video calls too.

I'm trying to change and be more confident, talking about my own views and giving my ideas on things. I'm always asking questions, listening and writing down notes.

Tbh I'm listening more to people and giving questions in a similar balance

This would be almost 3 weeks in the new company

Do you think I still have time to change? to be more confident before anyone realises that I'm shy.

How long does it take to settle in a new company?

Any advice
That all depends on the persons ability and confidence
Original post by R02022
So i recently started a new job, I'm already a very shy person... and when talking to different teams i think people can tell that I'm shy.

I always give one word answers and always talk "softly", I look a bit timid over video calls too.

I'm trying to change and be more confident, talking about my own views and giving my ideas on things. I'm always asking questions, listening and writing down notes.

Do you think I still have time to change? to be more confident before anyone realises that I'm shy.

Any advice

How long does it take to settle in? 3 to 6 months, and even then until you’ve seen a full year in many jobs there will still be surprises.

Try to get beyond one-word answers, but otherwise it sounds fine to be listening more than talking.
Reply 3
It sounds absolutely fine. You are interacting and remember a positive trait of new starters is a respectful period of ‘listening and learning’. Settling in takes a little while and its remarkable how much more relaxed you feel after only several weeks in a new workplace. Keep at it
Original post by R02022

Any advice

You have only been in the new job for 3 weeks, so are still quite new.
Keep asking questions, putting your views/ideas forward etc. Keep trying to act confident and you will get there.
I wouldnt say book to a goose when i first started my job, but nowadays i speak to anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending