The Student Room Group

transferring uni

i hate the course i’m on right now for so many reasons and i definitely made a mistake picking it. i’m doing an animal-related degree and i want to switch to some sort of art degree (so i’ll have to move after first year). is there any way i could just drop out right now since i’m just going to move anyway? i’m really miserable at my current uni, it’d be amazing if i could leave as soon as possible. i heard that if i do this i’ll have to pay student finance back straight away since i’m dropping out mid year?
Reply 1
Phone student finance england up and ask them them to clarify position on your finance if you leave now.. You are not the first student to do this

Your current university will need to release you but i would go and talk to them and tell them you are unhappy and want to leave. If you were my son or daughter i would be telling you to finish and come home. Nobody should be that unhappy. They will understand.

You take care now, good luck
Original post by Anonymous
i hate the course i’m on right now for so many reasons and i definitely made a mistake picking it. i’m doing an animal-related degree and i want to switch to some sort of art degree (so i’ll have to move after first year). is there any way i could just drop out right now since i’m just going to move anyway? i’m really miserable at my current uni, it’d be amazing if i could leave as soon as possible. i heard that if i do this i’ll have to pay student finance back straight away since i’m dropping out mid year?

You can leave your current course at any point. You don’t need to be “released” - just follow your university process to either withdraw or suspend your studies (I would always recommend that students suspend their studies first - that gives you the option to change your mind). You don’t have to leave your current course to apply elsewhere (but if you’re unhappy then that’s often the right choice). I would recommend that you get your new ucas application submitted asap.

However your maintenance loan instalments are to cover your costs while studying until the next instalment. So if you leave just after an instalment has been paid then SFE will calculate that the majority of that instalment has been “overpaid” and will ask you to either repay it asap or to agree to a repayment plan for that amount. SFE will never knowingly place you into financial hardship but they only know if you will struggle to repay if you reply to their letters and talk to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending