The Student Room Group

Questions about university offers and the whole process of being enrolled

On January 24th, I submitted my UCAS application and have received one conditional offer from one of my universities so far.

I am currently sitting on an A* C C and am hoping to get into the University of Royal Holloway or Durham. Durham has a requirement grade of A*A A, whereas Royal Holloway has a requirement grade of A B B. Assuming I get rejected from both but end up meeting the requirements on results day, do they still offer me a place and how exactly would it show on UCAS Track? Or do I contact them directly to say that I have met the requirements?

The course I am studying at university is Economics and Management. Aston University gave me a conditional offer of BBB to clarify.
If they didn't give you an offer, you don't do anything. You don't have a place regardless of whether you get their entry requirement.

If the course is in clearing, you can try to get in that way (this is independent of whether you applied there initially).
Original post by JoeAmo15
On January 24th, I submitted my UCAS application and have received one conditional offer from one of my universities so far.

I am currently sitting on an A* C C and am hoping to get into the University of Royal Holloway or Durham. Durham has a requirement grade of A*A A, whereas Royal Holloway has a requirement grade of A B B. Assuming I get rejected from both but end up meeting the requirements on results day, do they still offer me a place and how exactly would it show on UCAS Track? Or do I contact them directly to say that I have met the requirements?

The course I am studying at university is Economics and Management. Aston University gave me a conditional offer of BBB to clarify.

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer!

To answer your question, once you've got the rejection on UCAS your application doesn't move any further. Your next option would be to try to get into those universities through clearing. Clearing is a system that matches university applicants who haven't had an offer with institutions that still have unfilled places. So if you still want to go to Royal Holloway or Durham, on results day you can check to see if they have spaces available for your course, double-check that your grades match their course requirements for clearing (this may sometimes vary from the normal course requirements) and apply. You can search available places on the UCAS website. Once you found the one you’re interested in, give them a call and see if they can give you an offer.

Hope this has helped

*Ethel
Reply 4
Original post by Aston University
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer!

To answer your question, once you've got the rejection on UCAS your application doesn't move any further. Your next option would be to try to get into those universities through clearing. Clearing is a system that matches university applicants who haven't had an offer with institutions that still have unfilled places. So if you still want to go to Royal Holloway or Durham, on results day you can check to see if they have spaces available for your course, double-check that your grades match their course requirements for clearing (this may sometimes vary from the normal course requirements) and apply. You can search available places on the UCAS website. Once you found the one you’re interested in, give them a call and see if they can give you an offer.

Hope this has helped

*Ethel

Thank you so much. Just to clarify, if I end up getting rejected by Durham or Royal Holloway within the next three months, I would have to go through clearing on results day if I end up attaining the required grades.
I mean, the default would be that you go to whatever your firm choice is, and if you don't get into that, that you go to your insurance. It is possible to decline both and go somewhere different through clearing but it is unusual.

I don't know how likely either Durham or Royal Holloway are to participate in clearing at all, and even if they do, they may not have any spaces for your course. You are looking at something which probably won't happen. If you don't get an offer you need to assume that you are not going there.
Thank you so much. Just to clarify, if I end up getting rejected by Durham or Royal Holloway within the next three months, I would have to go through clearing on results day if I end up attaining the required grades.

Yes, but their is no guarantee the courses will even be in clearing, they may not be, they can also change the grades in clearing up or down.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
Yes, but their is no guarantee the courses will even be in clearing, they may not be, they can also change the grades in clearing up or down.

Fair enough. I just don't agree with the way students are restricted from different universities based on their predicted grades. The system was the same before I even applied, so I can't complain.
Fair enough. I just don't agree with the way students are restricted from different universities based on their predicted grades. The system was the same before I even applied, so I can't complain.

If you are expecting to do really well, you could always take a gap year? So withdraw from your current applications & then apply with your grades.

If you smash your results and the course that you want isn't in Clearing, you can always take a gap year and reapply for 2023 entry with achieved grades.
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
If you smash your results and the course that you want isn't in Clearing, you can always take a gap year and reapply for 2023 entry with achieved grades.

Okay. Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending