The Student Room Group

Can I get into a degree with an Access to Higher education?

I am studying a Access course in Computing and I wanted to know if I could get into a degree that is not relevant to computing,such as Japanese Studies or Geography (I know it's weird but when I came to this country nobody really explained me anything and I didn't have any qualification so I just sticked with computing)
Original post by Asparuh
I am studying a Access course in Computing and I wanted to know if I could get into a degree that is not relevant to computing,such as Japanese Studies or Geography (I know it's weird but when I came to this country nobody really explained me anything and I didn't have any qualification so I just sticked with computing)

For any language degree you will need an A level or other 'Level 3' qualification in a foreign language.

Georgraphy may be do-able but the best idea is to look at individual Uni websites for Geog courses and if it isnt clear, email the Uni and ask. For example, for Geog at Bristol (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/geography/bsc-geography/) the Access to HE requirement includes 'Science, Humanities or Social Sciences (or similar titles)' - but they suggest you email and check.

I assume you are aware that you have missed the main UCAS deadline for this year?
Original post by Asparuh

@Asparuh
Some great advice on here already. I've taught on an Access to HE program for nearly 10 years, we have had learners who have done the Primary Teaching pathway that have gone into music production, and some social sciences students who have gone into primary teaching - it really does depend on the entry criteria for your course at University. I would speak to the admissions tutor if you are unsure

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Asparuh

Hey! Ex- Access to HE student here,

Gotta agree with what everyone else said. Email/Call the specific people running each course you want to apply to (it'll be on the course page under course convener or something) and see what they say about the situation you're in. Maybe consider applying for a course like "computing+Japanese" or "computing+ Geo" and then if you get in see if you can switch courses to something you'd enjoy a bit more. Worst comes to worst apply for computing and switch after the first year. I think St. Andrews were pretty open to letting students choose a range of modules from different subjects.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest