The Student Room Group

Sixth form college or sixth form at school?

What's the better option? I've heard that going to sixth form at a school puts you off because you just see kids running about down the hall when you're trying to focus but sixth form colleges don't live up to proper academic expectations, e.g the teachers dont chase you up for missing assignments etc.
I think it's personal preference, but I would choose a sixth form college rather than a sixth form at school any day. I think once you reach Year 12, you are at a stage when you want a bit of independence, and to be treated with a bit more maturity. A sixth form at school is just like a continuation of school, whereas a sixth form college is a half-way house between school and uni, and you get the freedom and responsibility that comes with that.

The whole thing of not being chased up for assignments comes hand-in-hand with being treated a bit more like an adult and less like a child. If you still want to be chased up for assignments, then you're probably better off sticking with sixth form within a school. The whole point of sixth form college is that the responsibility for turning in assignments rests with you. If you're not bothered about your own future, then that's on your own head.
(edited 2 years ago)
This is different on a school by school basis. There will be areas where the local college has much higher academic aspirations for you than the school sixth form, and areas where the opposite is true. There's no point trying to generalise - you need to find out what's the case for the schools and colleges that you have access to.
Original post by back2black
What's the better option? I've heard that going to sixth form at a school puts you off because you just see kids running about down the hall when you're trying to focus but sixth form colleges don't live up to proper academic expectations, e.g the teachers dont chase you up for missing assignments etc.

I think it depends on the school/college. Everywhere is different.
Look around a few places and see what you think of them.
Colleges certainly have that expectation of you to be more mature than if you were at school.
I stayed at my secondary schools 6th form and did a-levels, then went on to a local college after and did a level 3 diploma. I found that i preferred college, as it was a new start, with new tutors, students etc (obviously you can keep in touch with others from school etc). When i stayed on at 6th form- i thought that it would be good as i already knew the school, teachers etc, and even though none of my friends stopped on, there were quite a few people from my year had stopped on so i already knew people. But i found that although it was good (and i always loved school), i got bored of the place and was ready to leave by the end of year 13. I just needed a new start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending