The Student Room Group

Applying to academic summer school/short course

I'm applying to this short summer school for postgraduates at an overseas university. It's for MA/PhD/Postdoc level, i have a masters. I have to provide a CV and 'expression of interest' which i guess is like a cover letter.

Do I need to change my CV to an academic one? Or a normal one because my work experience is mostly not that relevant. Or amend my normal one to include research ive done/papers ive written?

I was thinking an academic cv would include papers i've written and bullet point the research that would be of interest to the course. The course is not exactly my field but it would be the next step in my direction of interest so i'll be trying to get that across. Any advice on how to make my cv and cover letter as best as possible? I really really want to attend this.
Original post by Bristolbb
I'm applying to this short summer school for postgraduates at an overseas university. It's for MA/PhD/Postdoc level, i have a masters. I have to provide a CV and 'expression of interest' which i guess is like a cover letter.

Do I need to change my CV to an academic one? Or a normal one because my work experience is mostly not that relevant. Or amend my normal one to include research ive done/papers ive written?

I was thinking an academic cv would include papers i've written and bullet point the research that would be of interest to the course. The course is not exactly my field but it would be the next step in my direction of interest so i'll be trying to get that across. Any advice on how to make my cv and cover letter as best as possible? I really really want to attend this.

Take the same approach as you would for a job, tailor your CV to the skills required by the thing you are applying for. If you are applying for a course, that means showing you have all the relevant academic skills and experience, grades, study skills, hard work, analytical skills etc. Then show how the course fits your academic background and ambitions.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Take the same approach as you would for a job, tailor your CV to the skills required by the thing you are applying for. If you are applying for a course, that means showing you have all the relevant academic skills and experience, grades, study skills, hard work, analytical skills etc. Then show how the course fits your academic background and ambitions.

It’s just one week long does that make any difference?
It’s just one week long does that make any difference?

The duration is irrelevant - it's how competitive it is that matters. if it's selective, you have to make a competitive application.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
The duration is irrelevant - it's how competitive it is that matters. if it's selective, you have to make a competitive application.

Thank you are you or dyu know anyone on TSR who might be able to quickly proof read this for me or make some general comments? it's around 1 side of A4
Thank you are you or dyu know anyone on TSR who might be able to quickly proof read this for me or make some general comments? it's around 1 side of A4

I'm afraid they closed the CV Help forum, so there isn't that facility at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending